Pond heater for ~200 gal pond. What heater to get at bigals?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
your going to need a couple really strong heaters 300watts plus and then cover the pond they make blankets for this otherwise you can get the huge pond heaters but those are expensive. you sure you dont just need a deicer? what are you trying to do? -john

Adam.S

AC Members
No I don't need a de-icer..

I thought I would just make them comfy in the pond for a few more weeks before I move them into the cycling 180 gal.

The water temperature is too cold so they haven't been eating.

I thought it would be nice to raise the temp. temporaily to a level that they would eat.

TJcanada

AC Members
Hey Adam S. ... must be getting chilly out there in Calgary huh?

You could use 2-3 300W aquarium heaters, you will have to set them both higher than the temp you want tho.. been my experience that if you want the temp at say 68F each heater should be set to 74-76F - why? Because you're dealing with the "elements". Wind will fight hard to cool of the water, so will rain and snow,... if the water is being circulated that makes the heaters work even harder to keep the temp up.

Better idea here for you and won't cost ya a thing;) Leave them be, it's not going to hurt them not to eat for a while... when it's time to bring the fish into the newly set-up 180gal use the pond water to fill it before adding the fish. 1.) this will ensure that the water parameters are the same so transfer isn't as stressful 2.) the water will be the same temp and the fish can slowly aclimate as the water warms up in the house, again less stressful 3.) may be more work but better for the fish over-all 4.) gives you a head start on cleaning out the 200gal pond before the "big freeze" so there's not so much to do come spring

Once they are inside I would recommend you not start feeding them right away. Wait a few days allowing the water the warm up, the fish to adjust and watch the waterQ, then begin feeding small amounts. About the water temperature... we're heading into winter... keep the tank coolish, optium temp would be around 68-70F. This does a few things for you,.. 1.) the fish won't be as eager to eat which helps waterQ - less waste, lower maintenance 2.)it's a good idea to give "temperate" species a cooling off period 3.) at this temp your bio action is still functioning well
Personally I'd go lower with the temp but then you're not me:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store