Pond Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gotglock

The CowBacon Movement
Dec 3, 2008
S. Elgin, IL
Last night it seems raccoons got into one of my back ponds and killed off about $1000 of koi on me. Little devils wrecked all the plants and ate everything. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again? I'm getting tired of stocking this pond every year because some raccoons decide to make a buffet off my fish.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Ouch, that stings! Sorry for your losses.

Netting? I know netting helps prevent fishloss from herons, but I'm not sure if it would keep out raccoons.

Of course, you could always keep a beagle on hand, lol.

eroomlorac

Happy as a clam
Mar 18, 2008
Farm Country, Northern Illinois
I had an outside pond and that's exactly what happened to me. It broke my heart. Now I just have outdoor tubs I bring in during the winter. I don't believe netting will keep the raccoons out. They are pretty tough and strong critters. I don't know how you can keep them out.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I just thought of something that might, maybe help. A friend of my parents used to save their urine to sprinkle around their garden to ward off deer. I'm not sure that would work in this case, but you could buy coyote urine or another type (like in a hunting supply store) to spray around your pond to make it smell like a dangerous place to be. You'd have to reapply that, though.

Also, I think I read something about putting clay pots or pvc tubes for the fish to hide in and/or floating plants. Also, raccoons typically hunt in shallower areas and don't like to swim. You could build up the sides of the pond with rocks that would make it more like a sharp incline/cliff that would make the raccoons have to really stretch to get to the water.

gotglock

The CowBacon Movement
Dec 3, 2008
S. Elgin, IL
Also, raccoons typically hunt in shallower areas and don't like to swim. You could build up the sides of the pond with rocks that would make it more like a sharp incline/cliff that would make the raccoons have to really stretch to get to the water.
Thats what we have. The little *******s splahed all the water out to make it easier for them to get at the fish. my guess is they jumped into the ponds shallow area and splashed water out so they can sit there and get my fish. Im about to resort to sitting outside with the .22 and pick them off as they come near the pond.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Gotglock,
I have tried the motion activated sprinklers, heard them fire, and run outside to see a racoon patiently waiting for the water to go over it's head before continuing it's destruction of my pond. They also won't work in the winter, as the plastic head will freeze and crack... Even the dog only works if it sleeps next to the pond. The only thing I found that worked reliably was putting a hot wire(electric fence) around the top of the chain link fence, and keeping it plugged in on a timer so it went on at dusk and off at dawn.

Personally, I'm fond of the 'sit out there and blow the little buggers up' method, but you gotta sleep sometime:)
Jen

gotglock

The CowBacon Movement
Dec 3, 2008
S. Elgin, IL
Gotglock,
I have tried the motion activated sprinklers, heard them fire, and run outside to see a racoon patiently waiting for the water to go over it's head before continuing it's destruction of my pond. They also won't work in the winter, as the plastic head will freeze and crack... Even the dog only works if it sleeps next to the pond. The only thing I found that worked reliably was putting a hot wire(electric fence) around the top of the chain link fence, and keeping it plugged in on a timer so it went on at dusk and off at dawn.

Personally, I'm fond of the 'sit out there and blow the little buggers up' method, but you gotta sleep sometime:)
Jen
Sleep is for the weak. Lol

tcbrd

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Ohhh soooo sorry!!!!! I know the feeling although my problem isn't raccoons it is blue heron. I put on fake owl on my waterfall and they haven't come back. Raccoons will be harder!!! there was a water sensor in fostersmith.com that senses movement and shoots water. Nets would help too, but those little critters are clever!!! Good luck!! You can also try live trapping them, and taking them for a little car ride!!! lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store