Pond rebuild is finished

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Well, Liz and I spent pretty much all day trying to get the pond area finished up. I redid the edging a month or two ago, and we needed to finish putting in the border stones, and also to finish building the adjacent box turtle enclosure. The pond as of now has a bunch of comets, three koi, two eastern painted turtles and a mississippi map turtle. The box turtle pen will eventually house 3f/1m eastern box turtles. I extended the pond to create a small "wading area" for the box turtles. We built a raised bed on the lawn side of the pen, so I just have to order the plants to go in there. We also filled the holes in the cinderblocks with dirt and will be planting some ground cover in there as well to make a nice cap all the way around the pen.

Updates since the last pictures are: New deck railing, to keep the baby from crawling off the deck for a swim, finishing the pond border, finishing the boxie enclosure, and having my yard clean lol. Oh yeah, we just finished the white fencing too, basic vinyl picket fence. It separates the part of hte yard where the pond is to keep the baby and dogs out, and eventually we'll have a nice little garden area with a fireplace and stuff.

Future plans will be painting the inside of the cinderblocks to a brown color, and building some cover in there as well as some planting. That will hopefully be done in the next few weeks, but I'm just glad to have it to a finished-looking state for a change. Anyway, some pics.

pond 008.jpg

pond 009.jpg

pond 010.jpg

pond 011.jpg

pond 012.jpg

pond 013.jpg

pond 014.jpg

pond 015.jpg

pond 016.jpg

pond 017.jpg

pond 008.jpg pond 009.jpg pond 010.jpg pond 011.jpg pond 012.jpg pond 013.jpg pond 014.jpg pond 015.jpg pond 016.jpg pond 017.jpg

boomerjr91

I see you!
Apr 8, 2007
Horseheads, NY
very nice!! I'm judging by the barn, there were/are horses in the vicinity??

b19fish

AC Members
Aug 20, 2007
Maui
Wow that looks so Impressive cant wait to see what kind of plants u decide to put around or in ur pond by the way love the frogs

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
in picture 8 is that orange thing a goldfish? how are you going to keep the turtles from escaping the pond area around it not being on the land that you made

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The water level is a bit high right now. The edging stones overhang the sides around the rim by about 2-3", so once the water level drops a little, that should be enough to keep the turtles in.

Yes the frogs are real lol.

Yes in the eighth picture, thats a comet coming up for some food or something.

And yes, my wife is a horse trainer, thats the barn in the background.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I just realized this should probably have been posted in the photo gallery. Ah well, if it needs to me moved I'm sure it will.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
How nice! The turtles have a nice little area all their own. I have a question though, won't your turtles eat your fish? I have heard of that happening from other ponders with turtles. :eek:

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
wow! Nice work; looks very nice. LOVE your barn too!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store