Pond Temprature

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JackDonkey

AC Members
How warm does your minnesota pond get in the summer? I was wondering if there's any window of time in minnesota where I could try breeding tropical fish in an outdoor pond. Like how many weeks during the summer does your pond temp stay above 72 or 75 if it does at all.

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
I don't know anything about Minnesota, but I breed tropicals outdoors in St. Louis. I wait till the temp hits 70F, and then move mollies, platies and swordtails outside. The grow and breed like crazy - something about the sun and the algae they constantly eat. The babies need lots of cover in the form of floating plants, to avoid being eaten by parents. When we have an occasional cool night, I just drop in a 100 watt heater, and the tropicals will huddle around it. I didn't get the last of them out until early October this year, and the water temp was down to 56F. Seems they will survive it if acclimated slowly - in fact, I think they are hardier for it. I did give them the heater for the last few days as it cooled off pretty quickly.

Maybe you could start by monitoring your pond temp as soon as the days get warmer and you have enough daily sun to bring the temp up.
HTH
judy

MoJo

AC Members
Sep 2, 1998
Dallas, PA
www.aquamojo.com
I agree with the bright young lady in the above box. ;)

If they acclimate slowly they can withstand some major fluctuations. Judy, what kind of heater do you use? Just one of the aquarium heaters? I have seen the Titanium heaters that you can buy up to 700w...mucho bucks, but pretty much indestructable.

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
Mo:
Since my pond is only 300 gallons, I can drop in a couple of 100 watt EboJagers (I let them sink pretty far since the water surface will cool faster than the top), or a 200 or 250, whatever I have that's not in use for something else at the time. Then I'll put my floating dock (logs on top of styrofoam) over the top, and the tropicals will huddle in the heat stream. I suspect they would have survived even if I hadn't done this, but....

It does come in handy when cold weather gets here suddenly rather than gradually.

I've looked at the titaniums at Jehmco, and will probably go with a couple for indoors (that never-ending project). My brother thinks he can make the controller for me that they advertise (the one that 'synchonizes the heating' or whatever you want to call it.
j
ps: long time no talk - please email me back, thanks

wethead

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Phila. burbs
Visit site
At a recient fish club meeting, i bid on and won a bag of swordtails that were bred outside in a backyard pond of one of the members. You would'nt believe the size & color of these fish, much better than what's for sale in the shops. They also pecked off every minute scrap of algae in the tank, who needs oto's with these guys......Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store