Pondering Over Livestock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SuperScro

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
Hey again, I made a post earlier about a problem I had in my tank. I got such good responses, that I figured I could ask for some more advice on how to stock my tank.

What I'm looking at is a fuzzy dwarf lionfish. I know these guys will definatly attempt to fit anything that can go into their mouths, and it could be dangerous to themselves sometimes. The set up will be Live and Base rock, amount will reach up to 36 pounds or a little more, probably more live than base. Not to sure on a tank mate, If I will be able to add one.

One thing I'm worried about, is that I couldn't add a clean up crew. I don't think that there is anything that will not be looked at as lunch, as this lionfish grows to its full size. Without clean-up crews, how will I control algae and detrius? I got a suggestions of a HOB refugium, but not sure if I can fit it on my tank or not, and it may be a little difficult squeezing it in, but I might be able to do it. Are there any large inverts I could add that will be definatly too big for the lion to eat? I thought about a conch or two, figuring that they don't look real swalloable, and could healp aerate the bottom of the tank. Or, is there anything else I could do, thanks.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
he wont bother hermits or snails or anything of the like with hard shells. lions are more fish eaters, but they will snack on a shrimp or two for sure if they are hungry enough. but you should be fine with hermits and snails.

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
My lion fish has never bothered any hermits or snails.

Uncarved Block

Formerly known as "Uncarved Block"
Sep 17, 2006
Washington
For the cleanup crew and other crustaceans, what you need to worry about are fish like puffers, triggers, and some of the larger wrasse/ hogfish.

And don't put an Ornate Butterflyfish with corals because they're obligate coral eaters... actually don't buy one at all, LOL.

SuperScro

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
Should I have to consider a HOB refugium? Or can I add it into the future, when I have the extra cash to add it.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
it woudl help the filtration process but it isnt anything that is needed especialy in a FO tank.
it will help remove some nutrients but if you have macro algae in the tank and a DSB there it wouldnt do anything that your main tank wouldnt

SuperScro

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
The two dwarf lions I am thinking about getting are either the fuzzy dwarf or fu manchu. I believe the fu manchu is a little bit more difficult to keep than all the other lions, but not sure why. However, I think that they might be difficult to be trained to eat frozen food from live. I like the fu manchu more, only because it is smaller than the fuzzy dwarf, and that I would have a larger variety of chocies for another fish to keep that won't get eaten by him, unlike the fuzzy dwarf.

SuperScro

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
Can you feed them live brine shrimp, or other any other types. Not sure if my lfs sells ghost shrimp, haven't seen them there, unless they are in the back.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Live Brine is too small, they won't find it plus Brine Shrimp has NO! nutrtitional value. Brine Shrimp are 99 percent water! You will need to find live ghost shrimp or some kind of saltwater shrimp (if you can afford it) to feed about any lion through the conversion process. Hope this helps and good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store