Ponds In Winter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pootspete

AC Members
Jul 26, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
members.tripod.com
I just finished watching Dream Builders on the Home and Garden Channel and one house that they were showing in Virgina had an outside pond full of Koi.

Being I know nothing about these fish, my only questions is what happens in the winter? Can these fish withstand such cold temperatures, or do the owners have to bring them inside?

Just curious. Thanks.

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Well, Virginia is a pretty tempeate climate and goldfish and koi can definitely survive in the winter. There are a few caveats. The pond has to be a certain depth so that the water doesn't freeze solidly. Even if the top crusts over, if you were to break the ice the fish would survive. One way to keep that from happening is to keep a bubbler or waterfall going (ice takes longer to form over moving water). The figure I see for water depth is 18" for middle climates. If you were to be more northerly, you would need a deeper pond. Also, do not feed the fish during the winter months. Scale back in the fall and start slowly in the spring.

In thinking about Koi/Goldfish, remember that they Japanese have been keeping them outdoors for centuries. And while Japan is an island, it doesn't get the benefit of the Gulf Stream the way coastal areas of the Atlantic states do. They'll be just fine in a pond in Virginia.

Val

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
If you don't want to run a bubbler or filter, use a heater designed specifically to keep the top from freezing over. A heater made for cattle/horse troughs will do it. Mine only kicks in at 32F. The top can freeze over almost completely, as long as there is water below, and a hole in the surface for air exchange. I've seen simple styrofoam gizmos that supposedly accomplish this too. Check thatfishplace or Drs Foster and Smith - in the pond section. One thing you do NOT want to do - if your water should inadvertantly freeze completely over, do NOT take a hammer or pick or other tool and try to knock a hole in the ice - the shock waves sent through the water can kill the fish.

Val is right on target about feeding - as their metabolism slows and the water approaches freezing temps, the fish won't need anything. You should also do a partial water change before 'shutting down' the pond for the winter, and again when starting up in the spring.

Your weather is probably about like mine - my pond has been in operation for four years. My only winter losses of fish have been to herons. This year I wised up and covered it with pond netting. Mine is 300 gallons and about 30" deep.
HTH
judy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store