Poor Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nikitanain

AC Members
Jul 5, 2006
The setup on page 4 is nice! Glad u keep him alone now..

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
That's upsetting then. If bettas are supposed to live in 2-5 gallon tanks why do they always have them in tiny little jars and coke bottles? That's messed up

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
That's upsetting then. If bettas are supposed to live in 2-5 gallon tanks why do they always have them in tiny little jars and coke bottles? That's messed up
because a majority of people out there don't know how to properly care for a betta, or other fish. these are the same idiots that have goldfish bowls, IMO.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
The reason they're kept like that at the store is because they can breathe air and it's easiest and cheapest to house them that way.

The reason people still keep them like that when they bring them home is because they're misinformed. Pet stores often don't tell people otherwise because bettas are a good seller due to people thinking it's ok to keep them in tiny jars and such. It's unethical, but a lot of stores only care about sales, and the employees don't necessarily know any better or do research into their proper care. Besides that, the employee turnover is so high at pet stores, that most of the people don't care to put the time into doing research into what they're selling, or worse the owners/managers don't want them "hassling" the customers by telling them something isn't ok.

Many breeders do keep the males in small enclosures because it's the easiest way to house several males, but they also do water changes daily to keep the water clean and the containers are usually in rooms that are heated to a specific temperature. Or the fish are on a "system" consisting of several containers linked together, where water is constantly filtered and changed out. Even in this case I don't necessarily think it's best for the fish to house them in such small containers, but at least the water is kept clean, unlike the majority of containers bettas are kept in at the average home. For the average person with only one or a few bettas there's no reason to keep them in such a small unheated enclosure.

Last edited:

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
Just to keep you guys updated, my Betta is still recovering but has been behaving more healthy. :werd:Here is an updated picture.
recovery.JPG

recovery.JPG

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
he's looking good! keep that water pristine and his fins should heal up/grow back in nicely.

tayhudson

time will see us realign
Sep 27, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Terri
I just got 3 pygmy cories for my betta simon's tank. He's livin large in a spacious 10 gallon. I needed some fish to clean up after his messy self tho. They are busy little guys and he doesn't even notice they're there.

tayhudson

time will see us realign
Sep 27, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Terri
Just to keep you guys updated, my Betta is still recovering but has been behaving more healthy. :werd:Here is an updated picture.
View attachment 137435
I have learned and been told that the plastic plants aren't a good idea for bettas. I learned the hard way with my VT Dexter. His poor beautiful fins were slowly being damaged by the plastic plants I have with him. So I took them out and I'll be replacing them with real ones this week. I also will be replacing Simon's fake plants with real ones. Just something I've learned a long the way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store