Porcupine Puffa

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryan_kearney

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
Stafford, England
www.cv.webfroot.com
Hi all,

4 weeks ago I set up 28 gallon tank, the cycle has gone through fine and all the levels are are as they should, allthough the amonia and nitrite levels increased when I introduced a 2" porcupine Puffa.. Im running the tank with a Fluvel 304 filter, and an undergravel filter with two power heads.. Im looking into when I can introduce my next fish to the tank, and what to look out for? I am looking at adding a lion fish when possible, and in a years time upgrading to a larger tank..

Also, I dont see many set ups using undergravel systems with power heads, is there a reason for this, do I really need it?

cheers

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Until your tank cycles (which it hasn't--and ammonia spikes are very hard on puffers), I wouldn't add anything. Even then, I would stay away from lions. They tend to add a lot to the bio-load, and properly fed, both the puffer and the lion will outgrow your tank individually within about 6 months. If you're going to upgrade anyway, I would wait until you have a bigger tank before buying anything else. Even then--you know you'll need to go to about a 100 tank? Puffers can exceed 18 in length.

UGF aren't used in SW system because most people run LS/LR, and you can't have a UGF with sand. If you're using crushed coral, you might want to stick with the UGf and maintenance routine. LR/LS work because of the critters that act as a clean up crew and keep the sand stirred up. Puffers snack on the same things (snails, crabs, hermit, starfish) so the setup doesn't work as well.

ryan_kearney

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
Stafford, England
www.cv.webfroot.com
thanks

Thanks for the advice, I think I will stick with just the Puffer till then, I am looking at getting a 150 + next, if he gets too big to soon, I will just have to get my next tank sooner, there is enough charector in this little one to keep me happy till then.. :)

After speaking with someone I realised that these very low readings of amonia were due to me testing shortly after feeding which is unevitable, I now test before feeding at all levels are fine

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store