possible galaxy rasbora group buy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
I agree that mixing your tiger barbs with galaxy rasboras wouldn't be the best idea. From what I've read about galaxies, they tend to be more shy than other fish are when first settling into an aquarium. I don't think the tiger barbs would help them be emboldened to come out and naturally display as compared to if they were housed with other smalller, peaceful fish. After all, tiger barbs are semi-aggressive and grow to a max of 3 inches. Galaxy rasboras barely get an inch long as adults and are said to be peaceful.

jjbtexas

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Houston Texas
I agree that mixing your tiger barbs with galaxy rasboras wouldn't be the best idea. From what I've read about galaxies, they tend to be more shy than other fish are when first settling into an aquarium. I don't think the tiger barbs would help them be emboldened to come out and naturally display as compared to if they were housed with other smalller, peaceful fish. After all, tiger barbs are semi-aggressive and grow to a max of 3 inches. Galaxy rasboras barely get an inch long as adults and are said to be peaceful.
what is good to mix with them?

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Are celestial pearls still endangered in the wild? Many of the articles I can find online are old :-( I haven't seen any new articles about them as an update on how they're doing in the wild.

Any info is appreciated!
the CPD forum is really inactive so many of the threads there haven't been touched in months. :(

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Are celestial pearls still endangered in the wild? Many of the articles I can find online are old :-( I haven't seen any new articles about them as an update on how they're doing in the wild.

Any info is appreciated!
the CPD forum is really inactive so many of the threads there haven't been touched in months. :(
I don't believe it's officially listed yet due to a lack of study. I'm sure the typhoon that hit Myanmar set any study or protection efforts back quite a bit. I don't have any real details though as they don't seem to exist.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
I would say most kinds of tetras would be ok. I might steer clear of serpae tetras though. People say if you have at least 6 or more of them together in a tank that their aggression will be limited to one another, but I've had some very iffy individuals that still targeted my cories and such. Oh! Cories would be a good mix, that is unless you want to breed the galaxies. I hear they scatter their eggs and I'm sure cory cats would not be above sucking up the eggs. Small livebearers like guppies and even platies would be fine, I'm sure. I will be sticking my galaxies with my heterandria formosa livebearers and a pair of honey gouramis. It's hard to say which family of fish galaxies would go well with, because just like most every human's family, there's a black sheep in the midst :) . Fishgeeks.com and fishbase.org are good places to get reliable info on husbandry needs of fish. You can look up fish you're interested in by typing in their common names when using the aforementioned websites, but it's easier to find fish if you know their scientific names. Try and find fish that are considered peaceful, that's the main thing. I would say steer clear of fish that are nearing the 4" adult size range, but then I think of the pearl gourami that is said to sometimes get to 5", and it is a very good community tank resident. It has a pretty small mouth too, which means it wouldn't consume adult galaxies (though eggs and fry might be fair game). Galaxies don't seem to be demanding as far as water parameters or feeding is concerned. Just be mindful of their tankmates. I hope all this rambling I've done has helped a little!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store