Possible sick Oranda

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
Hi guys,

I am not sure what this is and would really appreciate your input.
I have 3 goldies in a 30 gallon. I know I need to get a larger aquarium and when I can get one I will. I do 30 to 50% water changes every week.
They are an oranda a black moor and a pearlscale.

The oranda has 2 white dots on it's wen. One on the top that appears to be flat to the surface but the one by his left eye is protruding.

I would really appreciate knowing what this is and how to treat it.
He is my favorite, he nibbles my fingers at feeding and always follows me around as I walk by. I really don't want to lose him :(
He also has been lethargic where he is usually very active.

Thank you.

DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0006.JPG

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0 and I haven't done anything radical to change any of the parameters..

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Hey, Kev. I'm pretty sure what you are seeing is new wen growth. Mine has had the same thing, and it just started to color up today. Sometimes orandas will get minor infections in their wens (kind of like "wen acne"), but I really don't think that's what the picture shows. It has been my experience that even when this happens, they tend to go away naturally. Don't know why it is being lethargic. If it gets spots on the rest of the body, then I think you should worry. As it is, I think you have some beautiful goldies-- one a with developing wen.

Hopefully someone else will check in soon-- perhaps someone with more experience at diagnosis than I have, but if it were my oranda, I wouldn't be too worried.

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
ok taking what you said and looking around a lot more I found something called breeding tubercles and he does have the white veins (found on one site) and this statement which seems to fit (aquaticcommunity) ;
" It is easy to sex Oranda Goldfish during the breeding season since the head of the males become covered with white dots. (Don’t mistake this phenomenon with ich). These dots are called breeding tubercles."

He only has 2 dots but maybe he isn't that much 'in the mood'. and there are only the two on the wen the rest of the body is flawless.

Do you think thats it? maybe i'm worried for nothing but a big white pimple on my fish gets me worried..
Maybe he is just bored with his boring flake food?? I need to get him some peas.

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
I almost did the same thing on the double post. After I posted it told me I had to wait 15 seconds to post.. but I was like I just posted? so I left the post screen and my post was well posted :) must be a lil glitch or something..

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I don't think it's a breeding tubercule, but I could be wrong. I think you would also see these on the gill plates (at least I have been able to see them there on my males) I'm going to stick by my guns and go with "minor wen irritation/growth" I think he'll be okay. Try the peas or green beans. Mine go nuts for green beans!

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
Thanks Somervell :)
I see by your avatar you're a black moor fan. Mine is actually my least favorite sorry to say.. He is beautiful and healthy but he is a total badboy! lol he sucks at the slimecoat of the other two and chases them around and it pisses me off! lol He has calmed down quite a bit as he has gotten older though..

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Yep. Love them. Only have a panda now. My avatar, Casper, was one of the most beautiful fish I have owned in my 20 years of fish keeping. Hopefully I will find another with as beautiful a body form. Yours has really nice body proportion. How old is it?

I have never heard of any goldfish sucking the slimecoat off of another. Are you sure it's not some kind of black, bug-eyed algae eater in disguise?? :) Maybe it's mating behavior. It can look pretty brutal to those of us without fins!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store