Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

possible to control and maintain 5.5 ph?

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by wigglejaggles, Dec 15, 2008.

1. wigglejaggles

wigglejaggles AC Members

Apr 13, 2017
    Hey Now all,

I want to keep a south american soft acidic water habitat. I wonder how hard it is to maintain a low ph. Anyone have any experience in doing this? If I use ro/di water that will start me out at 7. I am thinking of using diamond black under ada soil...to make the water yellow and soften it up and lower ph. Using pressurized co2 with a ph controller should get me down to 5.5? The one thing I am worried about is keeping the KH stable. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

2. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Josh
    May 24, 2017
    Josh
    I would be worrying more about GH than pH when considering fish. I would experiment with an RO/DI and tap mix and see what you get for results.

3. wigglejaggles

wigglejaggles AC Members

Apr 13, 2017
    Yes GH too! I have been keeping reef tanks for so many years I forgot about gh. So how does one keep gh/kh stable to have soft acidic water without having the ph crash?

4. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Josh
    May 24, 2017
    Josh
    Shoot for a minimum KH of 3-5 degrees. You could run the water through peat to soften and add sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to raise the KH. As for specific levels it's really up to you. I know schizo was trying hard to maintain similar water...hopefully they'll pop in for some first hand experience...

5. wigglejaggles

wigglejaggles AC Members

Apr 13, 2017
    Thanks jpappy

6. Riiz

Riiz Apocalypse Pony

Mar 27, 2017
    I wouldnt worry too much about trying to keep the water soft or acidic if isnt naturally from your tap that way. Because unless the fish is wild caught or your having trouble getting the fish to breed, then the extra effort isnt needed.

7. KarlTh

KarlTh AC Members

May 9, 2012
    Just keep the KH low and the pH will naturally follow. Keep the GH low as well to replicate the conditions. Concentrate on KH and GH and pH just tags along.

8. nycman

nycman AC Members

Oct 26, 2017
    Old thread I know, but question for me today...

I have a 200 with automatic CO2/PH controllers using Apex and electronic regulators. Which is preferred - you target a specific PH 24by7, or turn it off at night and allow it to creep up, creating a daily fluctuation?