Possibly stupid question.... Best place for filter intake?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

x3ro

AC Members
Jan 20, 2009
I was just thinking about this..

My tank is a 55g, but it's only 30" wide, just deep and tall..

Is there an optimum spot for the filter intake? Currently I have it towards one side of the tank...

Does it matter?

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
It doesn't really matter. I'm sure there's an optimal spot if you measured all of the possible currents caused by the output that would bring the most dirt in contact with the input though.

avionics30

San Diego Discus
Nov 18, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.sandiegodiscus.com
I prefer to put it at the opposite end of the return. IMO this createsa current across the tank (return to intake). You'll notice at feeding time, as the food falls down from the surface, the current from the return drives food towards the end of the tank. With the intake at the end, it usually draws waste in as it travels towards the end of the tank. Just my observations and preferences though. Good luck!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
As long as circulation is good you are fine. Just watch to see if waste collects in one specific spot. If not, you're golden!

x3ro

AC Members
Jan 20, 2009
I currently have an aquaclear 70 on my tank...

Was thinking about picking up another 70... is this overkill?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I currently have an aquaclear 70 on my tank...

Was thinking about picking up another 70... is this overkill?
I have 2 110's on a 55, one for each of the UG filter plates. Stock is mainly Hap's and 6 Synodontis multi's.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I recently had 2 AC 70s on both my 40 breeder, and my 46 BF. I have since replaced one 70 on each tank with Emperor 400s. You can never have "too much" filtration. Possibly too much current, but not too much filtration.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Having more then one filter plays double duty. If for some reason one of the filters should go down for a short time the other filter will pick up the slack until the other one is up and running again. As a rule, there is no such thing as overkill or too much filteration. As long as there is not a tornado in the tank you are fine with all of that filteration.

Marinemom

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Its not a stupid question at all! It was really puzzling to figure out where the best location is for the intake and return when I made the jump to a canister filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store