Potassium Nitrate-Stump Remover Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
I just bought a bottle of Spectracide Stump Remover....it says on the bottle, "Caution, contains Potassium Nitrate". This is just what I wanted. It lists no other ingredients. Does anyone know it there might be something other than Potassium Nitrate included? Wouldn't you think they would include any other chemicals or agents if they where in there? If anyone has any experience with this product I could use some feedback. I won't use it until I'm sure it contains nothing else.
Len

AMiR UNC

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Is this product reddish colored? If so, I use the same stuff. The red component of the product for the most part aggregates and doesn't dissolve. However, the KNO3 will dssolve in the water...but when adding it to the tank you will get a bit of the red stuff along with it. I've been using it for a little while...but not too often...maybe 5mL every 2 weeks. I diluted 2 tablespoons in 500mL water. The little bit of the red stuff hasn't seemed to bother my fish. I don't know what the red compound is though.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Does your bottle list any ingredients? That's what concerns me. It list no ingredients...just a caution that the product contains Potassium Nitrate. It's all a white, fine powder. No red at all.
Len

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
I've been using Grant's stump remover as I know it's quite safe. Pure white bb sized beads.

I don't know, but the red in that stump remover concerns me a little.

Regards,
Raithan O. Ellis

sparky7

AC Members
Dec 22, 2002
Olando
Visit site
I just used the spectricide last week to combat blue/green algea, It , and a black out seemed to have worked fine. Spectricide does have an 800 # to call. I couldn't find anything on their website. I have seen quite a few that use it, that's why I trusted it. Good luck.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Sparky, is the product you're using Spectracide Stump Remover and comes in a gray bottle? And it lists nothing in the way of ingredients? If it is, I'd have to consider it safe, but I just wanted to be sure before I use it. I've invested soooooo much time and effort into this tank and don't want to take a short cut and kill everything in it. I couldn't find anything on the website either so I wrote them an email and they said I'd get an answer within 48 hours.
Len

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Sparky is doing a water change on our 80 gallon Discus tank right now. So, I'll answer... Yes, it is the grey bottle. It seemed to work fine, also the fish are doing just fine too.. :)

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Thank you Joe, and thank Sparky for his reply. I'm hoping that the small dosing of KNO3 will help. As long as I have you on the line, a quick question....I am using Seachem Flourite, Excel, and Potassium at the recommended dosages on the bottles, twice a week and I'm reading that some are dosing more often than that. What's your opinion on this? I'll increase if I'm underdosing.
Len

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
dosing...

I'm not sure on the doseage... I have heard some put more than the recommended dose.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Just to clarify, I received an e-mail from Spectracide and their stump remover is 100% Potassium Nitrate.
Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store