Potential Humu tankmates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

proghead

Registered Member
Dec 6, 2004
Hey there,

I am planning on starting a 70 gallon non-reef marine tank. The only thing I know is that I want a Humu humu trigger (hopefully I can find a small one I can watch grow). So, does anyone have suggestions on potential tankmates for this character? I was hoping to get a total of three midsize fish in there. I like many varieties of angelfish, but their adult size is ridiculous, so they are out. I've been doing research on other aggressive fish as well. The aren't compatiable with lions, groupers get too big, and puffers are too ugly... so they are all out. It looks like I might have some luck with some tang varieties, perhaps a purple or yellow tang. Does anyone have experience mixing tangs and triggers? Also, can anyone think of other suitable tankmates for my humu?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I had a yellow tang in with a trigger for a while--they can fight a bit, but mostly ignore each other since they have totally different feeding needs. I'd go with a scopas instead of the yellow--a bit smaller, better for a 70 gallon tank. Another option would be an engineer goby--if you can anchor the rockwork so his digging won't collapse it. I kept one in with my picasso for years with no problems--got rid of the goby when I moved to a finer substrate that clouded up with disturbed. A bicolor angel would also work--or some of the other dwarf angels. They can defend themselves, and many are aggressive enough not to be indimidated by the trigger. A huge variety of wrasses would work, as well as many of the larger gobies.

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
I've kept Humu with other Triggers. At one time, I had an 8" Assassi Trigger, a 4" Niger Trigger, and a 3" Humu Trigger all together in my 200gal. tank. They all got along.

They were all also in with a Scopas Tang, which I still have....I dont have any of the Trigger left.

Everyone got along, fine, with the Tang. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you dont have any inverts (snails, crabs, shrimp, etc.) in the tank that arent considerably bigger than the Humu. No invert is safe in a Trigger tank, unless they can hold their own against the fish.

My new 240gal. is going to home to be a Queen or Undulate Trigger with a Blue Line Grouper.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I have always had good luck mixing triggs with the lg Thalassoma Wrasses. I have a lunare with an Assassi, Clown and Niger in my 209. Wrasses are a great choice. Fast enough to get away if the trigger has a pissy day, bullet proof enough to avoid injury, etc. Damsels are also good tankmates. Look into dwarf Angels too, some get big enough to hold their own. There are probably others, my brain is not really working right now.
AW2EOD- Be very careful mixing a Queen or Undulate with a grouper. I personally don't think groupers and triggs should be housed in the same tank as groupers match the rock work where they live and triggs find their prey on the rock work, so be careful of that. Good luck with it though. Either trig is amazing! Hope this helps.

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
MonoSebaelover said:
AW2EOD- Be very careful mixing a Queen or Undulate with a grouper. I personally don't think groupers and triggs should be housed in the same tank as groupers match the rock work where they live and triggs find their prey on the rock work, so be careful of that. Good luck with it though. Either trig is amazing! Hope this helps.

I've got a buddy that has a 10" Queen with a 14" Miniatus Grouper. I was going to go grouper, cause they're tough fish. I'm going to make sure the grouper is much bigger when I add the Trigg. We'll have to see how it works. If things get bad, I can always take the grouper out and put it in my 200gal.

I know Triggs like the Queen or Clown can just go crazy one day and kill off an entire tank, but I dont want a tank that big (my 240) to only house one fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store