Powder Brown Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
one boat nut I have used the saltwater fish recomended acclimation method BUT all you really need to do is test the salinity from the bag and the PH and comare it your own, If you manage to get it the same in 30 min or an hour that is really all you need no need to do the full 3, plus look at how long it says to acclimate a yellow tail damsel, (2hours!!) Those fish you can temp acclimate and just dump in as they are one of the very few fish that can tolorate a rapid change in salinity and ph.

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
Thats the thing about the hobby...lots of varying opinions.
Well I certainly can't argue that.
The one fact for certain about this hobby is the amount of opinions.
Usually thats why I try to ask questions directed to those with experience with the question at hand.
This hobby can certainly be frustrating and vague.
Oh well,live and hopefully,learn

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?
Hmm was that the link you meant to post? It doesn't say anything about them needing a 3 hour acclimation. I could see it with an invert but again it is an awfully long time for a fish.

Also it was in a tank by itself, and I go to this shop 3-4 days a week
Hmm, I meant stress in your tank. Stress from the other stock, stress from the size of the tank, etc. On them having the fish in his own tank while in the store though do they not have a shared system? I'm not suggesting you go to a bad store at all, please understand that. But most stores don't have the facilities to set up QT arrangements for a single fish..especially not for many fish at the same time. If you trust them thats fine, just saying the thought would scare me a little personally.
Grins,
This fish was in a tank with other fish.
After my purchase the owner put him in a tank alone and kept him for another 2 weeks...& yes I do trust him,along with about 8 visits to the store over the 2 week period.
I currently have 4 tanks going form a 20 gal to a 125 gal.
That along with 3 parrots and 2 dogs I spend alot of time in various pet establishments,along with alot of money:duh: :duh:

The new Brown I was going to take was also alone,now it is in with about 1/2 dozen Yellow Tangs since I told the owner I was no longer interested in the fish

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
one boat nut I have used the saltwater fish recomended acclimation method BUT all you really need to do is test the salinity from the bag and the PH and comare it your own, If you manage to get it the same in 30 min or an hour that is really all you need no need to do the full 3, plus look at how long it says to acclimate a yellow tail damsel, (2hours!!) Those fish you can temp acclimate and just dump in as they are one of the very few fish that can tolorate a rapid change in salinity and ph.
I'll try your method on my next purchase,thanks

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Her you go