Power supply??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tyella

My heaven has a beer volcano - FSM
Feb 18, 2005
Columbia, Missouri
Correct me if I'm wrong, but just because a power strip has a "test" and "reset" button does NOT mean it has a GFCI.

Those are there to protect against surges. A power strip with a GFCI will say it has a GFCI on the packaging.

Get one, it's cheap insurance. Have you ever put a light strip catty-corner on the tank while you're siphoning? I have and have been dang diddly doo lucky that I haven't knocked it in! With a GFCI, I protect myself from my own stupidity and clumsiness!

NewLuv4Fish

AC Members
Jun 18, 2005
OK i'll make sure i get a power strip that says GFCI, Petsmart has a power strip that has 8plugs with 4 of them being timers for lights and air, and if they're sold at a pet store I'm assuming that'd be the kind I need.

luvmyfish

AC Members
Jun 27, 2005
Yes you are right, just because it has a button does not make it GFI.
...and hate to burst your bubble guys , but you know how you see on t.v. someone will end their own life by dropping a hair dryer into the bathtub...doesn't happen that way! There is not enough electricity in your outlet to kill you...it'll give ya a good zap, but more uncomfortable than anything...certainly won't toast you. I am speaking from first hand experience! :D

melonie

AC Members
May 7, 2005
I do hope the above that the above post is a poor joke.
I'm in complete agreement with RTR on this point. While it is 'probably' true that leakage current from a non-GFI protected 120v circuit feeding aquarium equipment will be at low enough levels to be non-lethal (due to the absence of a highly conductive path to ground through shoe soles, wood floors etc.), this is by no means a certainty. Water spills, grounded metallic surfaces nearby (i.e. a metal floor lamp, appliance, computer etc.), bare feet, or a host of other possibilities exist which could potentially result in lethal levels of leakage current. Statistically the majority of electrocutions occur from 120v circuits, for the simple reason that most people don't consider them to be lethally dangerous. For the cost of a GFI protected outlet or power strip, this is a 'no brainer'.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
I know nothing about outlets, or electricity :huh: BUT, I have a wall plug with reset buttons and it is also a newer house and I don't believe it has GFI or whatever. I dropped my light strip that was plugged in into my 10g tank and I immediately panicked for the safety of Mr. betta and of course stuck my hands in the water to retrieve it, which is when I began to feel the tingly shock running up through my hands and up my arms. Just to make the point to double check your outlets and not assume for one reason or another that it is safe!!!!

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
tyella said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but just because a power strip has a "test" and "reset" button does NOT mean it has a GFCI.

Those are there to protect against surges. A power strip with a GFCI will say it has a GFCI on the packaging.

The $12 one from Walmart is indeed a GFI power strip, the GFI plus power surge power strip with modem connection is more expensive, like $24 I think, and another that is bigger for ransformers is more still.

It is called Fire Shield, and it specifically mentions being good for aquarium use, which all other power strips specifically say they should not be used for.

Fire Shield GFI power strip

Item 90502

Last edited:

tyella

Feb 18, 2005
Columbia, Missouri
anonapersona said:
The $12 one from Walmart is indeed a GFI power strip, the GFI plus power surge power strip with modem connection is more expensive, like $24 I think, and another that is bigger for ransformers is more still.

It is called Fire Shield, and it specifically mentions being good for aquarium use, which all other power strips specifically say they should not be used for.

Fire Shield GFI power strip

Item 90502
That sounds like a great deal and at $12 a MUST have if you don't have a GFCI outlet or circuit! I'll remember that brand name.
Thanks anonapersona!

swordtail

AC Members
Feb 9, 2005
If one of them is a GFI, then just plug the non GFI one into the GFI and all the outlets will effectively be GFI. i.e., any ground fault on the non GFI will be detected by the GFI that it is plugged into and the power will be cut. Just make sure the GFI is the one plugged into the wall, not the other way around, or it will not work. And of course, all previous posts apply, may just be an overload circuit, not a GroundFaultInterupter at all.

tyella

Feb 18, 2005
Columbia, Missouri
To answer your original question, you can pull as much power from an outlet as you want. Just don't exceed the amperage of the circuit. You likely have 15 or 20 amp circuits.
If you want, you can calculate the amps on the circuit (not just the outlet). However, unless you have a GIANT aquarium or are on the same circuit as the refigerator, you'll probably be OK. Aquarium gadgets don't draw that much power, generally.
So don't be afraid to use the larger power strip (but please find a GFCI!).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store