Powerheads for Nanos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Geoff_7

Yellow-Tailed Blue Damsel
Jan 24, 2008
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey everyone,

Im just wondering what powerheads are good for small 10 gallon tanks, I had a cheap discontinued one I bought form a pet store that was closing out and it was rated for about 160 - 290 GPH max and so I used that to create a current, well It sucked up my peppermint shrimp :uhoh: and so I took it out of course, I didn't want it to suck up my other one :nono:.
what can I use to create flow, I have a 10 GPH mechanical filter. But that cant be enough? could I go to a larger filter? Are there any special Powerheads for smaller aquariums? I know lots of people have powerheads in their smaller tanks has anyone else had this problem?
Also, could it have been the shrimp? perhaps he was sick or weak? and couldnt swim away?

Thanks for any help,

Geoff

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
I have a Koralia Nano in my 1.5g and I love it
A Koralia Nano in a 1.5g tank? Wow... Does this tank have sand? 256gph of fury.... hahaha

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I was wondering if he had room for anything other than the koralia in that small of a tank ;)

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
we've got an aquaclear 80gph (rated for 10 gallons)
it does the trick.. and was only $12 at petsmart.com (so i printed out the website price and got it for the same price in the store)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store