pregnant Flat lobster

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

corinna

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
rome,italy
I was given a lovely 3 inchflat lobster by a local fisherman couple of weeks ago (syllarides arctos). noticed she has a cluster of bright yellow eggs under her tail .Are they likely to hatch does anyone know? Guess I should house her on her own and release the babies but dont have a spare tank(sure the octopus would eat her given a chance.Thoughts?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Not really much of a documented species in the hobby world. As with most, they will certainly have a better survival rate if moved to a tank on thier own....Anything predactious in the tank will certainly enjoy them ;)

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It isn't uncommon for these to come in with eggs, nor for the eggs to actually hatch. Captive females will also lay and carry infertile eggs. As far as raising the young, I don't think that is something you want to attempt--it is likely very involved and difficult to accomplish (hasn't been done to my knowledge). As Reefscape said, I don't think there is much on captive rearing of squat lobsters from a nauplius to an adult.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
and now that it's been in captivity, you shouldn't release it or any babies back into the wild. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store