Pregnant tin foil barb?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tammy35

Registered Member
Jun 19, 2006
Hi all, I am new to this forum and hoping someone can give some advice. My family has a 75 gal. freshwater tank. We have three tin barbs (others too) and a few days ago I noticed one of the barbs was a lot bigger in the lower part of her. She has continued to get bigger. She eats fine and swims fine, although today I noticed she starts to float up some when she not moving. I only saw this happen once. I assumed it was because of her increased stomach size. She looks pregnant, but this is not supposed to easy to do from what I have been able to read. Does anyone have any experience with this? What I should expect, etc? Any help would be appreciated.

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
they are egglayers, so it can not be pregnent, mit can be, however, swollen with eggs. if you get a spawning the parents will try to eat the eggs

tammy35

Registered Member
Jun 19, 2006
duh

duh, I knew that, I have no idea why I said pregnant-brainfreeze I guess. So I guess I will wait and see what happens. I am waiting on eggs to hatch too-I wish they would hurry up already.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
it could be dropsy, in which case you'd have to euthanize her, but thats unlikley.
dropsy is rare.

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
Well if you can get tinfoil barbs to spawn please post how you did it here since spawning behavior of that specific species has only been recorded once (as of my knowledge) in captivity.

tammy35

Registered Member
Jun 19, 2006
I went back into the room where the aquarium is a few hours later and she was back to normal size and all the fish looked rather "full". I was not trying to bred them, just had them in our tank. The tank is planted quite full, which I think they are supposed to like that. I wish I would have been prepared, I could have seperated her. I will get one of those hanging enclosures just incase she should do it again. It would be really interesting to see how it actually works. Thanks to all.

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
rrkss said:
Well if you can get tinfoil barbs to spawn please post how you did it here since spawning behavior of that specific species has only been recorded once (as of my knowledge) in captivity.
from things i've read they are indeed rare... i read that it has been done on public aquariums, but very large ones.. thousand gallon tanks.. no details have been provided however :(

EDIT: rrks, do you know where i can find a detailed paper on how it was done? thanks :D , im not going to try it, just curious

Last edited:

Astonvilla1

Registered Member
Jul 30, 2019
from things i've read they are indeed rare... i read that it has been done on public aquariums, but very large ones.. thousand gallon tanks.. no details have been provided however :(

EDIT: rrks, do you know where i can find a detailed paper on how it was done? thanks :D , im not going to try it, just curious

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store