Pressure on glass pane

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ADiazENG

Registered Member
Sep 12, 2019
I read that a 10 gallon tank 20x10x12 exerts 52lb of pressure. Is that on each pane or divided by 4 sides (13lb x 4) ?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not sure I disagree, but what is your point? Are you talking filtration...or what? Silicone seals? or something else? I don't understand, but I might like to...

ADiazENG

Registered Member
Sep 12, 2019
I was just curious. A glass aquarium with silicone. I agree that it will exert equal pressure on all sides. But is that 52lbs upon each pane (x4) or is it applying 13lbs on each pane (x4).

bettacache

AC Members
Sep 28, 2019
Central MA

This thread may help.

Reactions: Sploke

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Based on that thread, the front and back of a 10gal tank both have 52lbs of force pushing over the total area of the glass. The sides have 31lbs of force over the total area of the glass because they have less area.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I was just curious. A glass aquarium with silicone. I agree that it will exert equal pressure on all sides. But is that 52lbs upon each pane (x4) or is it applying 13lbs on each pane (x4).
This should read "equal pressure per square inch on all sides". The TOTAL pressure over the entire side will be different between the front/back and sides because they are different sizes.

Reactions: bettacache

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
bettacache, good find on that thread! I didn't make all the way through it TY! (yet), but interesting stuff all in 1 place. Science is wonderful! TY for finding it...now with LED lights becoming most common, I flagged on the lighting part, although I haven't gone there just yet...& the heating loss too, for now.

Reactions: bettacache

bettacache

AC Members
Sep 28, 2019
Central MA
bettacache, good find on that thread! I didn't make all the way through it TY! (yet), but interesting stuff all in 1 place. Science is wonderful! TY for finding it...now with LED lights becoming most common, I flagged on the lighting part, although I haven't gone there just yet...& the heating loss too, for now.
It's a bit beyond my current knowledge of fish tanks. Definitely something I will slowly learn in time I'm sure! Haha!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store