Preventing anaerobic areas in a planted sand tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
I've found flourite and onyx to be great. I've never had them ever go anaerobic and produce the blackened stinky H2S smell.

Basic preparation:
I used about 150lbs for my 75 gallon tank.
You can get away with less. Maybe 100lbs or so.
I rinse it 3-4 times good then add it. I first add about 1/2 inch or so and then add 4 good handfuls of ground peat moss. You can get this at a nursery. I add add to this bottom layer a bunch of vacuumed mulm from an established tank. Ask the LFS or a friend who has a tank to let you vacuum their tank and get the dirt. Get as much dirt/mulm/detritus as you can.
Let the bucket sit for about 5 minutes or so.
Decant off the water.
Save the dirt.
Add about 1-2 liters worth of soupy dirt to this bottom layer. This is mainly organic material and is seriously loaded with bacteria. Save a bit for the filter.
You can also use some of the water from another tank, or run your filter on a friend's or LFS's tank for a couple of weeks first.

Thant's about the best substrate you'll get in the USA. Onyx and flourite can be had on line for about 12$ a bag of 15 lbs. Sometimes less. Shipping sometimes gets ya.
If you were in CA, I have 60lbs for sale or anyone that's interested can have at it. I am not shipping it though!
Regards,
Tom Barr

aquascaper

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Toronto Canada
Visit site
You can always get Malaysian Trumpet Snails if you want to move the substrate around. These snails are considered beneficial in a planted tank as they burrow themselves in the substrate in the day time and surface in the night.

I have a bunch of them in my tank and I always see them burrowing themselves under my flourite.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Those MTS's only move perhaps the top 1 inch at best.
Cory cats can do a bit of this also.

Horseface loaches are perhaps the best substrate movers that doesn't uproot plants drastically and move large amounts of gravel.

Regards,
Tom Barr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store