Pristella tetras with Black eyes?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LuxyBlue

Everything's Eventual
Feb 19, 2008
Dallas, TX
Thanks :) I've decided to call them "Bleeding Black Heart Pristella Pirate Tetras, Arg!"*

Actually they seem very healthy and are doing well, so as long as its not some dreaded fish disease, I am just going to enjoy them.

* Patent Pending

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Can't tell by the picture but from what I can see they do seem to look healthy and pretty. As long as they are working for you in your tank, then by all means enjoy them. Since you may not see this strain again, maybe you will want to consider going back to the LFS where you purchased them and get some more. That is only if space provides in your aquarium.

Marinemom

Last edited:

svf

Jul 14, 2006
Falls Church, VA
www.madoboe.com
Real Name
Susan
Camera Used
My cell phone.
I have seen these Pristellas. My thought was that, since Pristellas are also called "X-Ray" tetras, maybe these were bred to look more transparent. The Pristellas that I have owned in the past were more silvery. That's my guess.

NikkiLovesHerPupGucci

Registered Member
May 29, 2018
Oh wow! I was super grateful for this post. My x-ray tetras look exactly the same! I was actually wondering if they were indeed the x-ray tetras too. I bought them from a fish store in Hendersonville, NC who actually sold them to me as Bloodfin tetras. Smh. Anywho, great read. Thanks! :)

734F2274-D220-42CA-994F-52642FA4A722.jpeg

60CE821D-7559-4A90-A965-C79B9CE7B10E.jpeg

B60D23F6-5149-4A7B-BEC5-E8AE195BA95D.jpeg

28B5128A-5B6E-40A3-9F77-845B4E35960B.jpeg

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I have seen fish that had variations in the fin color patterns that looked much like pristellas otherwise. The dorsal was the same, but the anal fin varied, and the hue of their silver didn't exactly match. One I remember had just a thin vertical yellow stripe on the front of the anal fin, and there was another one that had a different arrangement of the three colors on the anal fin. I remember finding a picture of the second variation I listed online that called it a signal tetra. The first may just be a variation of the lemon tetra, but what I noted when I saw them is how nearly the same their dorsal fins all were. I remember seeing some of the dark eyed versions back then as well, so they have been around a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store