Problem!!! Firemouth has possible gill flukes!!! Help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Hey! I did a water change earlier this morning. I just checked my firemouths and the dominate one seems to have a single white "pimple" on the edge of his left gill. Also, I have noticed on the same side that his eye seems to be sticking out further than usual. I need ideas!! The only med I have is a partial bottle of melafix. I'll post water parameters here in a minute. Thanks!

jdheff1982

Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Ok, I just tested the water>

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
pH: 7.4 to 7.8

I don't have a way to test nitrates, but with everything reading normal, nitrates should be low to none. When I did the water change I noticed, besides an ugly site, I had sturred up tons and tons of either planaria or nebatodes (they are like 2 mm in length and white). I don't know if this could be the cause, but I know for sure that they won't be eating for a while. Since it is only the 2 fm's with a common pleco, I thought I was giving them a small amount once a day. Any other useful info would be nice!!! Thanks!

BTW, I have noticed round the edge of the aquarium, fine concentrations of air bubbles. Almost looks like a foam of some sort. I don't know if the possible foam is trying to tell me something or what. I really need some answers and help!!!

Last edited:

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
Your pH is about right for the water here. I think that if I were you I'd make a trip over to either SeaDreams or Guptons and ask them which medication you should get. Either of those two have people knowledgable enough to help you out. I've read about this before on the forum but since we lost all the old posts you can't even search for them.

Here is another link that may be useful to you:

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/article.html

jdheff1982

Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, but none of the signs in the article apply to the fm. He is still as aggressive and hungry as ever. Hides a lot when I approach the tank, but that is nothing new. This is the first time I have seen this and it bothers me not knowing what it is and what to do about it. :(

jdheff1982

Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Ok, get this! I just added some melafix to the fm tank and all the planaria/nemotodes began floating around the tank. Does this mean the melafix is killing them?? What's going on???

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
I think you should check your nitrates. The white foam could indicate you seriously need to do some water changes. Zero nitrite and ammonia levels do not mean your nitrates are low; indeed, they mean that your biofiltration is working well, which produces nitrates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store