Problems with Java Fern

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
I know, one of the easiest plants to take care of....why isn't it doing well? All the other plants in my tank are doing great, showing lots of new growth at least twice as big as they started out. My java fern however, looks sickly. It has brown spots on all the leaves hasn't grown a bit since I got it about 3 months ago. I know it's low lighting, but I find it curious that all the other plants have done well and it hasn't.

Here's the specs:
10g
DIY CO2
17w fluorescent lighting
Twice a week Flourish
Other plants: java moss, water sprite, indian fern and a sword.

Jaysn

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
Java fern is a pretty slow grower. Older leaves will start to develop black spots, and sometimes new plantlets will grow from these.

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
they've had the same brown spots that they had when I got them, no plantlets either. I am starting to get this blue-green patch on one leaf today........hope its not blue green algae or something similar

shaggbark

The rare and Elusive....Ninja Cod
Feb 12, 2007
Hopewell Jct. NY
:iagree: The last one I planted I asked myself "why bother?" There are so many better looking options. I simply HATE the black spots. When new plantlets are growing in the whole thing just looks messy. Even my java fern lace is simply not pretty.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
In my last 2 apartments my java fern grew great think tall leaves. Now in my house for the last three years all I get are tiny leaves and a million plantlets. I haven't changed the way I keep my tank and the water supply should be pretty darn similar.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
My Java fern does very well in low light tanks. (less than 2 wpg and in some cases just over 1 wpg)the only tank it does not do well is my 3 wpg tank.

malken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2003
San Bernardino, CA
Visit site
my 30 has 3.2 WPG and my java ferns have dominated the tank. For me they're slow but incredibly hardy. something inclines me to believe that there is some valueable nutrient that they leech from driftwood they're attached to because the ones planted in the soil are much slower growers than the ones latched onto the driftwood. What are your Nitrates like? For most of their lives my Java ferns have had little to no nitrates to feast on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store