Professional's answers on bottom glass and frame questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
If you weren't removing any panes of glass all you would need to do is remove all of the silicone from the inside of the tank with a razor blade, clean with white vinegar and then reseal. As you need to replace the bottom of the tank i would silicone the new bottom of the tank on (i would have the tank upside down for this), then remove the silicone from the inside of the tank and reseal the tank (using a generous amount of silicone in the corners of the tank).
Sorry I didn't make myself clear but that is exactly what I have been proposing as two stage seal, seams then inside seal. The only difference and the fly in the ointment, is the flip up of the side panel with the chipped bottom, which must be removed at the same time but glued in first and allowed to set up enough to help support the bottom panel for gluing. I may even have to install a new inside bead on the flipped panel temporarily to provide enough strength and stability for the bottom panel install. Then after the bottom is cured and supported by steel framing, go back and remove all inside tank seals old and new for a clean wide one piece bond and seal.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
I would do both panels at the same time, i would hold the side panel in place with duct tape or some clamps then stick the bottom on and leave for 24-48 hours to cure before flipping over to do the inside.

Bolingsw

Registered Member
Mar 17, 2019
Anything that is tempered needs to be annealed before it can be machined..
Steel, or glass..

all cutting, drilling, and shaping is done to glass before it is tempered.
Just a FYI all glass is annealed, this is its natural state before it is cut or and fab work is done on it. Tempering is a process that adds stress to the surface tension of the glass which gives it strength for direct impact like the side windows in your car or glass shower doors. Where the problem comes in with tempered glass is that the edges of the glass become the weak point due to the surface tension. With the glass being tempered it will break many small pieces instead of big shards of glass like annealed glass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store