PSA re: Betta Buddy Marimo Ball

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm sure that they have ended up lots of places.. I would expect they should be limited just to pet stores just not big box stores.

I'm not totally sure of the supply chain, but I imagine there was a shipment to the US, that was separated,done put into the cups for petsmart, petco or whatever and a bunch that where just sold individually to wholesalers and direct to stores.

I just expect more legislation limiting what we can and cannot have, and where it cannot come from.

There is already stuff in the works to completely separate imported vs native bred fish.... This is likely to make it more restrictive.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Oof, that sounds bad with those mussels. Are swan mussels the same?
I looked up swan mussels, and they aren't the same. :)

WYite

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I'm sure that they have ended up lots of places.. I would expect they should be limited just to pet stores just not big box stores.

I'm not totally sure of the supply chain, but I imagine there was a shipment to the US, that was separated,done put into the cups for petsmart, petco or whatever and a bunch that where just sold individually to wholesalers and direct to stores.

I just expect more legislation limiting what we can and cannot have, and where it cannot come from.

There is already stuff in the works to completely separate imported vs native bred fish.... This is likely to make it more restrictive.
Unfortunately, I think you're correct. My opinion is and will remain that the regulations and decision should be left to individual states. 99% of the fish that will survive in Florida won't live in New Jersey or Minnesota or Wyoming.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think most decisions are left to the individual states. At least right now anyway.

We will see what happens.. this would likely not be an issue if there wasn't the expectation that aquarists would potentially flush these, or dump them in some stream, or whatever.

Hopefully the folks at PIJAC will get their say.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
The guy in the lower right picture is sorting those marimo balls in body armor. I think that may be taking this invasion stuff just a liiiiiiiittle too seriously...

WYite
Or thinks theyre aliens and will lay there eggs on him and will make him the patient 0 in the invasion ?

Reactions: Wyomingite

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Now that I've had time to really think about it, I'm actually torn. I don't want to see new restrictions on interstate imports into the state, but the focus of my Zoology degree was fisheries management and limnology, and my conscience is telling me to tip the G&F off. In spite of my frustration with the G&F sometimes (that's a post in itself) I understand why they do what they do and I'm proud of the relatively unsullied waters of Wyoming.

I would think this is the kind of thing that can put a brand or company out of business. This is pretty serious on both a federal level and an individual state level.

WYite
They already know... And likely have done for some time..

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Reactions: dougall
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store