Puffer Feeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
So I got a Dwarf Puffer about a week ago and the little dude seems to be doing well. I tried feeding frozen bloodworms with my tweezers about 2 days ago with no luck. So I have been throwing in 2 snails about every other day. I assume they are being eaten because I never see them again.

My question is how often should I feed the little guy? I feed my other fish about every other day. Can I do the same with a puffer? Any tips to getting him to eat bloodworms? I'm afraid I will run out of ramshorns if that's all he will eat.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
are you holding the bloodworms or dropping them in?

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
I had no problems when I had mine, took right to them, but that could be because the guy at the lfs told me they were "eating just find on flakes". I tried flakes and he showed no interest at all, so I think he was starving. when i dropped in the blood worms he turned savage....lol cute little guys, eh?

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
are you holding the bloodworms or dropping them in?

I did both. When I held it he would look at it then swim away. He's really pretty skittish. When I dropped it in it got lost in the tank somewhere.

Would it be worth it to not throw in snails for a few days to get him hungry, then try the worms?

nomommythatsmyfood

AC Members
Sep 6, 2010
Georgia
Real Name
Meag
we have done krill and brine shrimp with ours...sometimes the little punk just doesnt eat...how small is he? is he a chaser? I know that with the new little guy we got in...he wasnt having any of the krill until I crushed it to fit into his small mouth and gave it a swirl around the tank...he loves to chase! then once he got sick and wasnt responding to anything...i used a turkey baster and filled it full of (melted) brine shrimp...put the baster right up to him and gave him a little shot of it...either he was so hungry from not eating or he just needed a little help, idk but it worked!!

We usually feed him everyday, am and pm....when we still had the older puffer (he was a big boy!!) we fed everyday, am and pm and every other day or so he also got treats mid day...he was like a dog...would come up and smile and cheese infront of the glass when he was hungry!! lol loved him!

I think every other or everyday would be fine just be mindful of any uneaten food and adjust as needed!!

Good luck with your little guy!!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
my puffer was very shy at first. I'd drop in blood worms and walk away to let her feel comfortable on going out and eating.

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
He's only a half inch, maybe a tad more with the tail. I'd hope to not feed more than every other day. I really don't like to see obese fish so I do my best not to over feed.

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
my puffer was very shy at first. I'd drop in blood worms and walk away to let her feel comfortable on going out and eating.

Did she search them out after they hit the ground? That would be fine with me if that would work. I had just read that most won't go after worms lying on the substrate.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
yes mine will go after ones that are laying on the substrate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store