• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lblove99

Registered Member
Feb 20, 2017
I have a 60 gallon freshwater aquarium that Im about to set up. I was considering getting either some Pea puffers or a red eyed puffer. I've read multiple places that Dwarf Gourami can go with puffers as well as Barbs, but some also say its a bad idea. So I was wondering since my tank is larger could I have multiple puffers with the other fish listed in a 60 gallon? and can dwarf puffers and red eyed puffers live together?
Thanks in advance!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I wouldn't put the red-eyes in with anything, since they can get big enough to do real damage. Pea puffers vary widely in temperament. Some will ignore other fish, some will pester and nips fins constantly. Will you be planting the tank? A densely planted 60 should be big enough for pea puffers and additional fast moving fish. Rainbows would be a decent bet, since they lack flowing fins that might be nipped. You should also consider the South American puffer. Often confused for the figure 8 puffer, but these are a true FW puffer, get to 3-4 inches in size and are fine in a community of similar sized fish.

Just keep in mind, puffers of any sort can be a challenge to kept fed enough crunchy foods to trim teeth.

Reactions: Lblove99

Lblove99

Registered Member
Feb 20, 2017
I wouldn't put the red-eyes in with anything, since they can get big enough to do real damage. Pea puffers vary widely in temperament. Some will ignore other fish, some will pester and nips fins constantly. Will you be planting the tank? A densely planted 60 should be big enough for pea puffers and additional fast moving fish. Rainbows would be a decent bet, since they lack flowing fins that might be nipped. You should also consider the South American puffer. Often confused for the figure 8 puffer, but these are a true FW puffer, get to 3-4 inches in size and are fine in a community of similar sized fish.

Just keep in mind, puffers of any sort can be a challenge to kept fed enough crunchy foods to trim teeth.
Okay thank you so much. I completely forgot about south american puffers. I will for sure look into getting a South american puffer instead of the red eye.

Lblove99

Registered Member
Feb 20, 2017

And yes I will be planting the tank

Penguin88

AC Members
Nov 29, 2011
I second a south american puffer. From what what I understand they are less aggressive than other puffers. If you wanted you could do a couple of them in a species tank, if I recall correctly they get along okay with each other. I have only seen one in a pet store once, though, so I think they can be a little difficult to find.

Keep in mind SAPs' teeth grow quicker than some puffers so a regular diet of snails etc. will be especially important. Not all puffers have issues with overgrown teeth... Dwarf puffers don't. I love puffers and have kept dwarf, irrubesco, fig 8s, green spotted, and valentini, and currently have a modestus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store