pump inside diy pond filter tote? how? I've seen it somewhere...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
Hi ya'll!

(techinical difficulty - it's stuck on bold and isn't letting me undo it, sorry. But at least i'ts easy to read lol.)

I know I've seen a picture/guide to this somewhere, but I can't find it.

I'm looking for the instructions on making your own pond filter with a rubbermaid tote where the pump is in the filter. Any one seen these?

The particular 'pond' I have is a 35(? at least)g tote, it's up on cinder blocks in a shallow hole in the ground. I'm thinking of either hiding the filter just behind the 'pond' on the ground (stepping stone) behind it, OR, another idea was if I stack 2 cinderblocks (and maybe 2 blocks wide for support if necessary) and put the filter on top behind the 'pond' - and slightly above - then I could have a waterfall effect for the return.

Either way I need a way to get the water out of the 'pond' (pvc, hose, combo?) to the filter and back out to the 'pond.'

Since it's so small I really don't want to have to put any more equipment in the 'pond' and take up what swimming room the fish have left.

It is still in the planning stages, but the sooner I can get it done the better!

Thank you! :)

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I'm thinking putting in a pipe from the bottom, into the pump and then into the filter bin from below will work. Toss in a bunch of floss and other media. Make a bridge for the spillway/waterfall into the pond and your done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store