Puzzled..............

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bobbdd

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
I have a family of Geo family that has been doing quite well.....

Last night I did a 25% water change ( as I have in the past) and today, they are all hudled together and displaying stress bars.

Water parameters today show some nitrates (as it did prior to water change), but all else is unchanged and OK.

So, what can it be??

bobbdd

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
Stress bars show on the jurapari when they are moody or stressed.

There are 5 four inch jurapari and 3 5 inch Surinamensis in a 80 gallon tank with a cannister Filstar 3 and a aquaclear 500 for filtration.

I just cleaned the aquaclear 500's sponges last night. I ring them out in a bucket of tank cycled water. The sponges really needed to be cleaned, they had begun to send particles back into the tank. I have sponge prefilters on everything. The tank has been cycled for months now.

Co/\/vict

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Columbia, TN
uhhh the only thing that i can think of are they new to the tank? And I figured out that all of my fish are afraid of the phone, among other things, and when put near the tank they all huddle up, get the stress bars, and breathe heavily...... I can't think of a thing other than maybe overfeeding, my convicts were overfed and they did that, or maybe no oxygenation, some medications deprive fish from some oxygen and if there is any film at the top of the water is also intervenes with the oxygen that enters the aquarium.... other than that they should be fine..... O and one other thing... If you buffer the PH, maybe changing the ph too much. It is recommended that only .2 of the ph should be changed per day..... but I never go by that..... never seemed to harm the fish. I would just not mess with the water chemistry for a while, that always seems to work with me. Ammonia maybe? If cycled properly it shouldn't be that either.....

Sparko

Registered Member
Nov 28, 2002
USA
Visit site
i'd do another water change asap, you never know what can happen when you are messing with the tank water. lets say you were cleaning house or something and had cleaner on your hands then decided to clean the tank. had a friend lose his whole tank that way before except he had been pumping gas or something. just something to think about.

perrito_blanco

Cichlidophile
Sep 9, 2002
NJ, USA
If this all started as a result of a water change, I wouldn't do another one just yet.

Do you have any activated carbon in your filters?
Have you had a lot of rain in your area lately?
What kind of water is in your area? Well water? Plain city water?
Are the pH,KH and GH stable?
Are the tanks and the tap water's pH, KH and GH the same?

The first thing I'd do is put some fresh AC in the filter just in case the tap water's got some contaminants in it. Quick!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store