pygmy cory cats breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bumblebee goby

AC Members
Jan 25, 2009
this is the type i would like to breed how hard is it to breed these and how do i find the eggs on the ground so they dont get eaten

post-394-1179527333.jpg

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
They look like pygmaeus cories. They spawn very easily. They are one of the few cories that does not eat the eggs nor the fry. The eggs will be placed on the aquarium glass, on plants, the heater, the filter intake, you generally won't find that they've put any in the gravel. The fry are very difficult to keep alive.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I heard that it was difficult to breed them. I remember reading some where that you're supposed to let the water start to get low and add cold water and they should breed after that. I have no idea if it works, I never tried with mine.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
It's not getting them to breed that is the problem, it's keeping the microscopic fry alive longer than 3 weeks for me. I lost hundreds of fry over a 7 month period. Only one made it longer than a month.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Did you ever figure out why? Do they sell a fungicide or bactericide or viricide that's safe for babies?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i think it was a matter of the fry eating well, they are so small, its hard to have foods that they can readily accept not to mention the stress of water changes, etc.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Did you ever figure out why? Do they sell a fungicide or bactericide or viricide that's safe for babies?
I did not figure it out. Spoke to one of the countries leading cory experts who had spawned and raised them and he thought I was doing everything right. Apparently it's not just me that has trouble keeping them alive. Over the 7 month period I tried to eliminate things one by one. They could get the microscopic foods to get to the 3-4 week point. Water changes were hard on them but when you're feeding fry foods you have to do water changes and at least some partial substrate cleaning. Because I had fry all the time (had 38 breeders) the tank was very time consuming, it just wasn't worth the work anymore.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Sorry it didn't work out. It would have been adorable with so many baby pygmy corys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store