python - how to get better suction?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mountain_webste

AC Members
May 2, 2007
B-more
Looking on some tips to get better suction from a python.

I get very little suction from my python during water changes, I've followed the instructions but can get only get a minimal flow. I've tried keeping the python hooked up to the faucet with the water running (which seems like a huge waste of water). I've also tried detaching the python from the faucet and letting the output end lie in the bottom of the sink. I can't seem to get enough suction to vacume any poop/debris from the bottom of the tank. I end up using my old syphon and buckets to clean the tank.

Python works great for refilling the tank so no qualms there.

Any suggestions?

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I know what you mean. Sometimes the connector where it attaches to the faucet adapter comes loose from twisting the tube, and it'll lose suction through that if you are using the faucet to power the vacuum.

I usually turn both hot and cold on, its a huge waste of water but it works..

mountain_webste

AC Members
May 2, 2007
B-more
I never really loose suction, I can just never get enough to vacume the tank...debris just gets picked up and dropped. I'm doing 30 - 40% water changes in a 165G tank. I hate the thought of, and don't want to pay for, 200 gallons of tap water wasted to change 60 gallons of tank water even before I refill the tank.

Frustrating...

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
I had the same problem with mine not getting enough suction. I got a piece of clear ridgid plastic tube that press fits into a 1" PVC male adapter. Then put a female thread to hose adapter on that and hook the hose up. It creates quite a bit more suction and it takes a bit of finnesse to keep from sucking up alot of sand. Basically, a smaller diameter hose/tube makes fluids flow faster. The ideal size is probably right around 1-1/2", but the 1" was more readily available to me.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
For most of my tanks the height difference between the water surface and bottom of my sink is large enough so that I can just siphon out w/o running the faucet. I have one tank where that's not the case so I send the hose down a hall and siphon out into my bath tub.

Doesn't really work to get debris, though, so I also manually bucket siphon that out -- should probably do that more often. :)

koipoloi

Something fishy here.
Sep 17, 2009
Missouri
Real Name
Alex
I find my downstairs faucets have a little more water pressure plus there is a good drop to aid the siphon. I bought an extension and run the hose from the lower level faucet and that makes a lot of difference. See if one of your faucets has better pressure and use that one.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yep, siphon/drain out a door or window, even to the bathtub, with the shortest length you can use.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store