Quarantine Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
A little back history, about 13 years or so ago I started keeping aquariums for about 5 years. I had a 29 gallon and 55 gallon that i started and mainted with next to no problems, or so I thought. I used API Quick Start, API Stress Coat, API Ammo-Lock and API Stress Zyme. Recently, I tried to pick back up the hobby and invested in a 37 gallon setup. All was well until I brought home some new fish (Dalmation Molly and Sunset Platties) that, after the fact, I believe had gill flukes that spread like wild fire through my beautiful Sterbai Corycats, Neon Tetras and Flame Dwarf Gourami. My big mistake was no quarantine tank, or maybe it was using the old API products and not realizing that my water conditions were bad (I was using strips and ammonia kit). Either way, I am moving on to setting my 37 gallon up as a quarantine tank and have bought two 55 gallon tank set ups. I have artificial aquarium plants and decorations for my 37 gallon. I disposed of my old sand. I have soaked everything in vinegar and hot water followed by rinsing thoroughly with hot water in an attempt to sterilize everything. I plan on using all of that in my 37 gallon quarantine tank. I am debating using gravel or sand as my substrate in the quarantine tank. What do you all think? Also, what do you think of the tank decorations in there as well? My thoughts are that putting fish in an empty tank qould cause more stress. Will all of the fake plants and decorations do well if dosed with paraguard or any othe potential meds? Tenatively I am planning on stocking one 55 gallon with Blood Parrot Cichlids, Loaches or Corycats and Cardinal Tetras. The other tank I havent decided yet! Any helpful suggestions or tips for me? Please be nice, I am by no means a pro here.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Eeek, I see problems with your cardinal tetra & parrot stocking...bite size fish & anything that can swallow them, no matter how "mellow", may be a big issue, in time

What kind of loaches? There are many...some more safe with?...than others.

Clown loaches get WAY too big for a 55g in a year or so...up to 12+ inches...eventually.

.Kuhlis may be parrot bite size...sooner than you might plan for, corys less so, they're fatter, less gulp-able. Again, if it fits, it's food. Re think this plan or tell what you mean.

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
I was thinking Kuhli Loaches, Sterbai Corys or Spotted Corys. Originally I wanted Rainbow Sharks, but I was afraid they would be too aggressive for the Parrots. I was worried about the Tetras, any thoughts on Cherry Barbs? Thanks for your response!

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
Yikes. Forgive all of my typos, i turned the auto correct off and obviously suck at proof reading.

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
Maybe another variation would be a bristle nose or clown pleco instead of the loaches or corys. Would a rainbow shark work? Would any barbs work?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
For your quarantine tank, I would do no substrate. Easier to keep clean of debris. Decor that is easy to clean would be good, plastic plants, things that aren't too porous. You are right to think that cover will reduce stress.

As for your stocking. You'll want large bodied fish for schooling. If you're thinking barbs, tiger barbs would be good with your parrot. Or things that are similar shape. I wouldn't do kuhli loaches as they're a little more peaceful/slow moving and may be a snack. A small pleco would be ok. Rainbow sharks, red-tail sharks, or anything with "shark" in the name would be a bad idea for your other stock types/tank size.

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
For your quarantine tank, I would do no substrate. Easier to keep clean of debris. Decor that is easy to clean would be good, plastic plants, things that aren't too porous. You are right to think that cover will reduce stress.

As for your stocking. You'll want large bodied fish for schooling. If you're thinking barbs, tiger barbs would be good with your parrot. Or things that are similar shape. I wouldn't do kuhli loaches as they're a little more peaceful/slow moving and may be a snack. A small pleco would be ok. Rainbow sharks, red-tail sharks, or anything with "shark" in the name would be a bad idea for your other stock types/tank size.
Wouldnt I need some gravel or sand to help cycle the tank and establish a bio filter? Why not a Rainbow Shark? I thought they only got up to 6 inches and the 55 gallon tanks are 48 inches long. I know Bala Sharks get way too big for any of my tanks. I am ok with just having 3 Parrots and some janitorial fish, I am not dead set on a shoal, I just thought it would add some good variety and color. I thought Tiger Barbs were too aggressive and would fin nip the Parrots. Looks like I have to do all my research over.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
We talk about this from time to time on this site, but to me, a quarantine tank is a tank you setup on an as-needed basis. Something you setup with fresh dechlorinated water, a seeded filter, add your new or sick fish and away you go.

IMO, keeping it setup all the time is just another tank for your fleet.

Aerial

AC Members
Jul 22, 2016
We talk about this from time to time on this site, but to me, a quarantine tank is a tank you setup on an as-needed basis. Something you setup with fresh dechlorinated water, a seeded filter, add your new or sick fish and away you go.

IMO, keeping it setup all the time is just another tank for your fleet.
My thoughts on establishing and upkeeping a quarantine tank were to do so to facilitate stocking two 55 gallon tanks. It seems to me that the amount of time and quarantine needed to stock two 55 gallon tanks would warrant an established and semi-permanent quarantine set up. Where as the alternative is setting up and breaking down a 37 gallon tank over and over, uaing tons of product to keep water filtered properly. I dont know, it just seemed easier to me to keep a tank set up and being a decent sized tank it will also look nice while i am stocking. Once the big ones are stocked the quarantine tank will be a "typical tank" and I will either leave as a freshwater or possibly convert to Saltwater, depends on the hubby, lol. I have never done a quarantine tank, so obviously I only know what I am researching.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Basically if you put gravel or sand in it, any time you have an outbreak you will have to sanitise the sand or gravel or replace it. If you have bare bottom you don't have to do that. As long as you have a good quality filter with lots of biomedia you won't need substrate.

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store