quarantine tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpmcousin

AC Members
Apr 14, 2006
I have tried to have a quarantine tank a few years ago but could not maintain consistant water quality. I used a 30 gallon tank with a canister filter & crush coral bottom. I have several questions.
1 - What kind of filter should I use?
2- Don't I have to keep fish in the tank to maintain water? In fact I would like to keep a few fish since it will be in my office.
3- What should the specific gravity be? I have maintained my 100 gallon tank at .21 for years and i just read a posting that .21 is too low.

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Several strategies will work; many do not use any substrate at all in a QT, you can use a hang on filter or cannister but no carbon if using meds. For some this is more of a temporary setup that can be used as needed and broken down when done. I have always used a more permanent QT/hospital solution. New crushed coral will impact copper use, but I have had success in QT's with a simple undergrave filter under seasoned substrate. I generally regard these as more of a 24/7 solution, always like having a second back up tank running and established with a resident clownfish or other hardy specimen. The important thing is to test the water daily during treatments to avoid ammonia spikes, make water changes as required.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store