question about clown loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

99SH

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Lk. Hiawatha, NJ
Well, he's been in my 10 gallon q-tank for two days, with no improvement. He's still not eating, looks wasted away, and is staying at the top. I've looked into internal parasites, but the info I found said the medicine doesn't work above PH 7.0. Mine's at 8.0. Anyone know if that's true? I don't think he's gonna make it.

Clownloach458

Three years, so litte posts
Nov 23, 2001
Beckley Wva
man, poor little guy :( i wish i could help, id be that way if it were my clowns to :(:confused:

Hoplosternum

AC Members
Aug 27, 2000
Essex, England
Visit site
Hello,

Clown loaches don't do well on their own and I doubt that the quarentine tank is doing him a lot of good, especially as this is one of your original loaches not a new one. Unless you see some evidence of disease I would put him back in. If you keep him seperate make sure he has cover in the Q-tank if you haven't already and make sure it is in a quiet location.

Clowns will have disputes and this one might have been the boss and has just been suplanted by one of the new ones. You might try rearranging the cover or even add some more hiding places so that each has a place.

A Clown will easily go without eating food you add to the tank for a few days or even weeks. I would happily leave even my small ones (1.5") for a week or so if I was away. Are you sure he is not eating? Are your other Clowns quite plump (especially your other original)? If not maybe you could try and increase the amount of catfish pellets / their favourite food. Remember your Rianbows and plecs will be going for their food to. Clowns, especially sulking ones, are quite bashful and he may not eat while you are there.

Good luck I hope it works out!

99SH

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Lk. Hiawatha, NJ
Well, that's it. I came home from work today and found him wrapped around the filter intake. This sucks, I think I like the clowns the most out of my fish. Thanks for all the help everybody.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store