Question about feeding Bettas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
Just curious here... does anybody feed all those Bettas that sit in the little cups at Walmart and other stores? Or do they starve until someone buys them?? How long can a Betta go without food?

Also -- how often should one be fed? I have one at work in a 2G jar and each morning when I arrive, I give him about 6 pellets of "Betta Bio-Gold" -- they float on the water and he usually gobbles them up. Then about 4:30 p.m. I give him 2-3 more. Is this too much or too little??

Also - I usually have the maintenance guy come in and feed him on the weekends -- could he go two days without food IF the maintenance guy didnt' make it in?

THANKS!

TheMightyQueenPixie

Best Invention EVER!
Apr 16, 2002
Barrie, ON. Canada
www.baycitybettas.com
It can take up to 6 weeks to starve a Betta to death. Periodically missing a feeding is actually a good thing as it gives the fish a chance to completely empty their digestive tract. A Bettas stomach is about 3 times the size of their eye. I'd cut the morning feed down to 3 pellets. If you want to give a snackin the late afternoon that should be ok.

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
Bloodworms. Ugh! Sounds disgusting! :)

Now I have to find them! How much would I give my Betta? And, are they going to make the water all messy? (Originally, I had bought a giant can of Betta food at Walmart for about $1 and it just totally made the water a mess! This Betta Bio-Gold was $2.50 for about a teaspoon of pellets in the package, but it is MUCH nicer and the Betta seems to like it better.)

Pootspete

AC Members
Jul 26, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
members.tripod.com
It is not that disgusting. I too thought it would gross me out. I buy mine in a small plastic bottle for I think the price is $1.99, at my LFS. I just give a pinch of it.

Nope, does not make water messy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store