Question about feeding Discus in a community tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Hello I have a question regarding feeding my discus I am new to caring for them & want to to the best for them. Ok they are now in a community tank with other compatible fish. I know discus have to be fed daily but I usually feed my other fish every other day. I have cories cherry barbs glo tetras bleeding heart tetra & glo danio in the tank. Since I do not want to overfeed & want my discus to get their nutrition I read about these feeding cones that can be used to feed them. When I tried to feed them last night with the others I felt they weren’t able to get to the food fast enough. My other fish are hogs lol! I have watched several videos on youtube where people were using the cones. My worst fear is overfeeding something I want to avoid.Any advise is welcome thanks!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
This issue you're seeing is why discus tankmates need to be chosen with care. They do eat slowly, danios & larger tetras eat fast. Feeding cones are usually used for thawed frozen blood worms or live blackworms, not other foods. Cherry barbs & corys (of a species that like high discus temps) should be ok. I think "glow" tetras are often skirt tetras, they & the danios may nip discus & can outcompete them for food.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Ok well I put two feeding cones in the tank & the discus are going for the food. I put enough food in one of the cones for them & then small amount into the tank for the other fish. I actually took some tetra granules & soaked them in a cup with some of the aquarium water & poured it into the cone & the discus were able to feed off of it. I also have cories so they are getting what floats to the bottom & the others get what floats mid tank. Am going to feed thawed frozen brine shrimp in the cones & bloodworm as well & see how that goes. So far I have had no nipping the glo lights tetras & bleeding heart tetras danios & cherry barbs really stick to their school & are not bothering the discus. Using the cones so the discus can get their share because they eat slower & then giving the rest of the fish a small amount seems to be working not so much competition for food. So far so good really enjoying the discus even though stunted they’re healthy & beautiful with alot of personality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store