Question about zebra danios.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smolfryz

Registered Member
Jun 22, 2021
Hi, I'm 2 years into the hobby and I just decided to try zebra danios for 20g heavily planted tank. I did a water change Friday and tested my ammonia level this morning and it was .25ppm. I have 6 in a 20g along with 4 cories and a single mystery snail. I've had my danios for little over a week now and one seems a little out of sorts? It won't eat and it seems to be avoiding the others. He keeps to the surface a little more than the others but isn't swimming as actively as they are. They just gobbled down some frozen bloodworms this morning, but that one danio didn't even touch them.

Got any ideas? The danio doesn't have any indications of illness outside the body.
I was just wondering if 6 was too little of a shoal? I heard they do better in at least 12 or more.
Maybe that's its problem?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Warrior-Lady

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Could increase to 8, but I'd be suspicious of internal parasites and might try a 4 week treatment of dewormer as a precaution.

Praziquantel would be a good treatment option, but remove the snail for the course of the treatment.

Reactions: smolfryz

smolfryz

Registered Member
Jun 22, 2021
Could increase to 8, but I'd be suspicious of internal parasites and might try a 4 week treatment of dewormer as a precaution.

Praziquantel would be a good treatment option, but remove the snail for the course of the treatment.
I''ll see if the local fish store has that. I'm not too familiar with it for the fish hobby. Would something like Seachem Paraguard work if they don't have it in?

Thanks!

also alot of aeration
unlike guppies that seem to like calm water
I had an air stone in there before, but too much oxygen was affecting my cories. Making them float like they had swim bladder, and once I took it out they swam normally again. I know it's good to have a lot of aeration, but can that be harmful if overused? The filtration in there is a large, seeded sponge filter. I'll try the air stone again for a couple days to see if there's any changes!

Thanks!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Paraguard can work I believe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com