question for frontosa keepers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oscarlvr

AC Members
Dec 19, 2001
Edmonton, Alta
im purchasing a 150 gal corner tank, and will arive just before new year, i also have a line on some wild seven stipe frontosa, not sure of the last name but will get it on monday, now the question is how many frontosa to get and i also want to add a color contras such as a luliupi (spelt wrong) will these 2 fish be ok together, if not what other bright color tangs can i put in there, also i never picked what to put for a substate yet, any ideas on that either, thanks guys, btw the tank is 30" deep.

bob

ERRN7

AC Members
Jan 8, 2000
Abingdon, VA USA
Alot of your choices will be determined by the size of the fronts. If they are half grown or bigger then you are limited as to what will work. If they are smaller then you wont have as much trouble. I have a 4 year old pair and within the last couple months have added a small pair of brichardi without incident. If it were possible to add all the fish at the same time that would help as well as have plenty of structure and hiding places. My fronts seem to tolerate any other type of fish except their own kind.....Good Luck and enjoy them they are a very kooool breed of fish to keep.

oscarlvr

AC Members
Dec 19, 2001
Edmonton, Alta
im going to get 6 about 2-3", their cost is high at about $30 cad each. i have about 100 lbs of lace rock but was wondering about gravel, sand or coral for a substrate, thanks again

bob

ERRN7

AC Members
Jan 8, 2000
Abingdon, VA USA
Substrate

Sounds like you have the rock work covered. I started out with crushed coral way back when.....I have now used in both cichlid tanks pea gravel with some larger round stones mixed in (alot cheaper than cc or other substrate) Fronts are rock movers. Each time I clean and smooth out my tanks rocks within a couple hours they start moving rock again. With them being only 2-3" it will take them sometime to be able to move mouthfulls of rocks. Not to mention the ease of cleaning vs sand. If you send me an email I will send you some pics of my tanks so you can get an idea, if you would like.

rus

self proclaimed proclaimer
Jan 6, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.cichlidsickness.com
my room mate has a breeding pair of Neolamprologus leleupi with fry growouts in a 110 with a front. he hasnt had any problems with this set up so far. but leleupi only get 3-4" so time will tell i guess. i suspect that if they grow up together there wont be any problems. i almost like the leleupi better than the front. very fun fish to observe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store