Questions about Discus tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Ive been thinking about picking up some Discus to go in my 55g community. This tank is well established and has been running for around 10 years now. Right now it has two adult Boesemani Rainbows, 15 Neons, an African Featherfin, and some Oto's. Ive had the BR's for over 6 years now and theyre starting to die off from old age. I was going to replace them with more of the same species, but I think I want to try something different. Ive kept and bred Angels in the past and was thinking about going with those again, but ive been thinking more and more about getting discus(looking at Flachen Turks). My question is will these do well with my current setup? Im sort of worried about the BR's and AFF. Both have been housed successfully with Angels in the past, but from what ive read the Discus are a little more timid so the BR's might spook them a little bit. The Discus would go in a 20l growout tank for a while before being introduced to the 55 so id have time to find suitable homes for the BR and AFF if necessary, but id much rather keep them around if possible?

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Oh, and I was also wondering how well Discus do with high currents? My tank is heavily filtered(XP3, Magnum HOT, Sponge filter on powerhead) so theres a lot of current in there. I can reduce it if necessary, but only if its absolutely necessary. Also, I have sand as a substrate and a painted black background. Would this cause problems with Flachen Turks? Ive heard that the black background wouldn't cause them to spot, but I just want to make sure. Sorry about posting twice in a row. For some reason I cant start new paragraphs in the same post on this forum :huh:

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Discus are big on higher temperatures (79-86 Fahrenheit) that your rainbows won't be happy with. I don't think they're terribly happy about high currents.

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Im not too worried about the temps. I had the tank at 82deg for several months when I was treating my angels and the BR's didn't seem to mind it at all. In fact, their color seemed better at higher temps and their appetites were as crazy as ever. I was worried about the currents though. I should be able to reduce it a lot fairly easily even though I don't really want to because my BR's love the high currents.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Ive been thinking about picking up some Discus to go in my 55g community. This tank is well established and has been running for around 10 years now. Right now it has two adult Boesemani Rainbows, 15 Neons, an African Featherfin, and some Oto's. Ive had the BR's for over 6 years now and theyre starting to die off from old age. I was going to replace them with more of the same species, but I think I want to try something different. Ive kept and bred Angels in the past and was thinking about going with those again, but ive been thinking more and more about getting discus(looking at Flachen Turks). My question is will these do well with my current setup? Im sort of worried about the BR's and AFF. Both have been housed successfully with Angels in the past, but from what ive read the Discus are a little more timid so the BR's might spook them a little bit. The Discus would go in a 20l growout tank for a while before being introduced to the 55 so id have time to find suitable homes for the BR and AFF if necessary, but id much rather keep them around if possible?
You're right on the money regarding your concerns about the BR's & the AF's - They could easily stress the discus & cause problems with the discus' health. Neons will not do well at the higher discus temp, and will likely soon die off, one by one. (Think Cardinals instead). And as for the Otos - you'd need to keep an eye on them. As they get older, larger and lazier, they MAY tend to taking a liking to discus' slime coats as part of their diet - it's happened to me - twice. Your 55 would be ok for no more than 5 or 6 discus as they approach adult stage, and more than just a few other tank-mates with them would be pushing the bio-load limits. Oh, and discus have problems with high, strong currents. I think you would want to tone that down somewhat. The black background shouldn't affect the Turks.

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Thanks for the help Paul. Ive read your sticky on discus care and its one of the reasons that ive decided to try them out.

I can move the Neons and replace them with Cardinals(or maybe Lemons or Rummynose?). I guess ill have to get rid of my BR's and AF. That's sort of depressing because im really attached to my AF, but I guess you have to do what you have to do. How many Corys would you suggest as a replacement for them?

I just ordered three nickel sized Flachen Turks so they'll have to be in my growout tank for a while, which is good because itll give me time to find a suitable home for the BR and AF. Thanks for your help.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
You could still give the BR's & AF's a go if you wish - some people have, seemingly without problems -but it's risky - better to give the discus their best chances of remaining healthy & thriving, don't you think? Lemons or Rummy-Noses make great discus tank-mates, as do Cories. If you get Cories, I'd suggest a group of at least 5 or 6. Good for you getting the Flachen Turks - they're really nice discus. May I ask where you're getting them from - a breeder ?

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
I doubt ill try them with the BR's. I think theyre too spastic and would easily scare the Discus. Not to mention that theyre voracious eaters and I don't know if the Discus could compete with them for food. I might try the AF since its very laid back and seems to go out of its way to avoid all of the other fish. They can also tolerate higher heat ranges so that shouldn't be a problem. Ill try it out for a while and if I don't think its working ill move him to a grow out tank until I can find him a more suitable home. I think ill go with Lemons or Rummy Nose for a schooling tankmate. I love Cardinals and have great success with them in the past, but the Lemons and Rummy Nose Tetras seem like theyd make for a better contrast color wise.

I ordered them from Joe Gargas from the Aquarium Research Center. I did some research and he came highly recommended, and from the few conversations ive had with him it seems like he really knows his stuff. Hes conditioning the fish for at least ten days before shipping them out so it will be a while before they get here, but one thing ive learned in my 15 years of fish keeping is that patience is the key to everything so im used to waiting. lol

Heres his site in case you aren't familiar with him.
http://www.aquaresearchcenter.com/

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Thanks Paul, and thanks for all the help. Im sure ill be picking your brain more in the next few weeks if you don't mind. Im excited about my first Discus keeping experience. I have a ton of experience with Angels which I think will help some, but many things involved with keeping Discus will be new for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store