question's about lr

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

counrygirl

AC Members
Feb 12, 2007
I had an ammonia spike(went up to 5) and couldn't get it to go down so I put the fish in other tank's I had and was wondering about the lr I have it in a rubbermaid container and have heater and a power head in there but was wondering about die off ,will there be a lot of die off or will it be ok ,I'm adding more live sand to the tank when I get it running and will I had to recycle the tank again before adding fish again have not had this problem before so i'm stumped about doing this so any help would help:help: thanks again

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
so you have any ideas as to what caused the ammonia spike? 5ppn is huge, i'm surprised you have fish left. was the live rock already in the rubbermaid or did you move it there after the spike?

counrygirl

AC Members
Feb 12, 2007
moved it after the spike and the ammonia came from me putting an antiboic in the dt for a bactria that was in the tank(dumb I know that now it was metronidozide)(for ick)they forgot to tell me to change 25%for the water after the meds a bad mistake for sure but and now I have learned a big lesson

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I'm confused. Way too many words with no periods, my brain went on overload trying to comprehend lol.

So, you threw in rock and fish into the tank, tossed in meds and there was an ammonia spike?

I wouldn't put any medications in my main tank, I don't think that putting emds in and not doing a 25% WC would cause the spike of ammonia.

Was the rock cured? If it was shipped but labeled as cured, there is going to be some dieoff. Was the tank cycled to begin with?

counrygirl

AC Members
Feb 12, 2007
no the rock and fish were already in the dt for about 1yr and yes the lr was cured when it was put in the dt ....

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
5 ppm is a lot of ammonia. For levels to reach that high, I would expect several sizeable critters to have died. It does sound like the meds you used wiped out a very large part of your favorable bacteria population (if not all of it).

From here, the rock will need to be recured and the fish should stay in quarantine. I'd recommend a large water change and running some carbon in the display tank to help remove any meds that are left in the water. Then, you could just recure the rock in the display tank, since the fish are not in there. After the rock is cured again, I'd slowly add fish back in one at a time, with at least 10 days between additions to make sure the bacteria population is given time to adjust to each addition before another one is made.

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
5 ppm is a lot of ammonia. For levels to reach that high, I would expect several sizeable critters to have died. It does sound like the meds you used wiped out a very large part of your favorable bacteria population (if not all of it).

From here, the rock will need to be recured and the fish should stay in quarantine. I'd recommend a large water change and running some carbon in the display tank to help remove any meds that are left in the water. Then, you could just recure the rock in the display tank, since the fish are not in there. After the rock is cured again, I'd slowly add fish back in one at a time, with at least 10 days between additions to make sure the bacteria population is given time to adjust to each addition before another one is made.
This is very good advice. I would take things as slow as you can. A 5ppm ammonia spike is extremely high. You have to be really careful about medicating your DT.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
As bad as adding a bacteria killing substance to your main tank who's viability hinges on happy bacteria, I commend you for keeping a close enough eye on the ammonia level to rescue your fish. Well done!

counrygirl

AC Members
Feb 12, 2007
I'm not missing any fish or clean up crew that I can think of .Thanks for the encouraging comment ,really frustrates me that I could do something so dumb,now I will haft to wait for lr to recycle and the bacteria to build up again at least I have a qt to keep the fish in thanks again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store