Questions and my tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishaddict

AC Members
Jan 30, 2003
New York
Visit site
Hey guys im kinda new to this forum and just want to start with a little intro. Im 17 and have been keeping aquariums for a few years. I started out with a goldfish which worked really well. I know have a 55 and a 20 i think. The 20 gallon isnt setup though. Only the 55. In it i have 2 gold gouramis
1 blue gourami
6 tiger barbs (pretty small)
1 Rosy Barb
5 assorted danios
1 Giant Danio
1 irridescent shark (about ll inches)
1 Convict Cichlid
3 Swordtails ( 2 male one female) i realize it may be better with 2 females unfortunately one other female starved herself it seems
2 or 3 stalks of Giant Hygros and Anacharis i think. I dont use any ferts or co2 as much as id like to i cant figure out anything. I just use like 2-3 cm gravel. They all look kind of bad so if anybody can suggest some ferts it might be worth it.

1 200 watt ebo-jager heater
1 eheim 2013 canister filter
1 fluorescent tube 40 watts. I know its low but as i understand it id need to get a completely different hood and different things
1 air pump with alot of bubbles coming out of the tube

Thats all i have for now but i saw a few silver dollars in the lfs and i was wondering if i could include them as well. I was only planning on 1 or 2. Also does anyone have any other suggestions for my tank.

Thanks for all of your help in advance:D

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Your gouramies are going to lose their pectoral fins ("feelers") if the Tiger Barbs even think about nipping them. Also, more than two gouramies in a tank is murder waiting to happen (AFM, I believe March 2003). Look for the gold gouramies to dispatch the blue one, if I remember correctly the aggression levels of each.

Here is the AC profile on the iridescent shark

Formerly P. sutchi, the Iridescent Shark is one of the worst fish for beginners, yet is commonly seen in just about every fish shop in North America. Young specimens must be kept in groups; older ones don't need the company of their own kind as much. These fish must have very fast-flowing water and quick, schooling tankmates such as Tinfoil Barbs or Bala Sharks to help make the fish feel more at home. Subdue light levels and provide plenty of open swimming space. These fish will accept most floating foods, and have a real taste for earth worms. They startle easily and it's rare to see a mature specimen without a damaged snout to some degree. They are passive and non-aggressive. It would be a good idea to put some sort of foam padding on the inside ends of the aquarium when the fish reaches a length of more than 8 inches. Iridescent Sharks don't usually grow to more than 18 inches in home aquariums. As they mature, they lose their horizontal stripes.

And 200g is recommended. Your IS will spook the heck out of any fish which isn't expecting a high-velocity, high-impact bottom-dweller to be extant in its tank.

I think that you may be slightly overstocked when it comes to waste production, but definitely overstocked when it comes to behavior. I agree that the con could potentially make your tank a mess, as there are all sorts of other fish upon which it could use behavioral displacement techniques (or just flat out eat).

My advice: get rid of the cons, the gold gouramies, the IS, and either the blue gouramies or the known fin-nippers (Tiger and Rosy Barbs...the Rosy might want a school anyway).

Best of luck!

~Matthew

fishaddict

AC Members
Jan 30, 2003
New York
Visit site
Thanks for all that info. The shark is probably going to go shortly as it does keep on running into the glass for no apparent reason. I think the gouramis add a nice touch but after reading that will probably end up selling them back to the lfs. I also like the coloration of the rosy barbs and so after all that stuff is out may get more. Thanks for all that info again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store