Questions for teachers with tanks in their classrooms

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AA79606

AC Members
Jul 21, 2011
Texas
Real Name
Amy
That is another good point...make sure it is placed in an area where he will be able to keep an eye on it at all times, don't want any crayons in the tank! LOL

I'm not sure how much of a teaching lesson you can make about aquariums for kindergartners other than "this is a fish, F-I-S-H, fish". ;)
LOL True!! I can just imagine, "Well class, let this be a lesson, if you put glue in our fishtank, the fishies will die..." ;)

Okay well maybe it could be suggested that kindergartners would learn the responsibility of caring for the daily needs of living creatures by ensuring the fish are fed regularly and properly...

AA79606

AC Members
Jul 21, 2011
Texas
Real Name
Amy
How about doing a small tank with shrimp? Those will be way more interesting than your run of the mill guppy, plus it can be more of a learning experience. (If they're older and not in the south, you could show how the shrimp evolve to be more or less colorful). Some RCS would be perfect!
I have lots of cherry shrimp!! Hey... what do you mean about if they're older and not in the south? (Because I'm old, and I'm in the south... so...???) ;) LOL Really though I have no clue what you mean about them evolving... do you mean how their color improves or fades through selective breeding?

Shrimp are actually a great idea... nobody sells any kind of shrimp around here except for ghost shrimp for feeders. I have cherries and some blue pearls...

AA79606

AC Members
Jul 21, 2011
Texas
Real Name
Amy
better one is learning about personal property and keeping their dirty hands off it lol looking no touching
Oh but it will be so tempting for little ones! Maybe he could just have a plants & snails tank... like java fern & MTS... stuff that will be hard to kill!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I put a pleco (BN), Briggs snail, shrimp and some guppies in my son's preschool class. The kids loved the tank. With the more unusual critters...it was a big hit!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Know the room before you choose livestock! Many older school buildings have pretty archaic climate control systems and the temp of the room could vary widely, particularly over breaks. Heating a tank is easy but cooling one isn't.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Know the room before you choose livestock! Many older school buildings have pretty archaic climate control systems and the temp of the room could vary widely, particularly over breaks. Heating a tank is easy but cooling one isn't.
+1 Every class in my school is a different temp, most of them can get pretty extreme for fish/shrimp.

I have lots of cherry shrimp!! Hey... what do you mean about if they're older and not in the south? (Because I'm old, and I'm in the south... so...???) ;) LOL Really though I have no clue what you mean about them evolving... do you mean how their color improves or fades through selective breeding?
Yeah I meant selective breeding....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store