Rainbow Shrimp (Warning lots of pics)! Anyone know the exact species?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
post a pic in the invert section. someone will know what they are. they look like more than one species to me, but i don't know that much about shrimp

mmm_unit

AC Members
Nov 30, 2008
the store you bought the shrimp from most likely had the shrimp mislabeled.

i am fairly positive that your shrimps are not changing color. if anything, they might have lost some of their color during transportation but that same color should come back once they have successfully acclimated to the new tank.

here's a link to some common shrimp mislabels and misconceptions.
http://www.planetinverts.com/Babaulti Complex.html

you look like you actually have many different types of shrimp so you are quite lucky to have such a variety from one shop.
is this shop in california by any chance?

and as a side note, i would look through each shrimp species that you have and look at the water parameters, depending on the shrimp, they may have different water needs. did the store you bought the shrimp from have a clean tank with no dead shrimp?

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Wow, I can't wait to hear the shrimp experts weigh in on this. If you just showed me those pictures and said "How many different species of shrimp do you see here?" I would answer between 5 and 8. Other than the ones with the white eyes there's hardly one that looks like its any relation to any others. :)

Peter22, you could get yourself named Customer of the Month, and maybe a whacking big gift certificate for Promotional Services Rendered, if you would name the LFS where you got these. Their phones would be ringing off the hooks by midday tomorrow with people trying to get these, and probably have the lot sold out by closing time. Absolutely gorgeous. :)

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Bumping this back to the top because I think it got lost in the overnight/early morning shuffle. Would still like to hear from a shrimp expert an opinion on whether these are really a previously unknown-except-to-German-speakers species of shrimp or whether an lfs or supplier is blowing smoke here. :)

um, never mind. Msjink and I were typing at same time only she hits "post" faster.

So I gather this is a hoax or joke....? (wasn't here in 2008, sorry)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store