Rainbow's or jewels next and probably last on my shopping list info please.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

optix

Rent-a-mod
Dec 30, 2002
Dayton area of ohio
Visit site
I'd like to know of anyone who has experience with these guy's. I want to keep something else in my 150, but im concerned with the jewel's aggression with an oscar and firemouths. I know rainbow's are relatively peaceful which leads me to worry about my JD getting rough. I'd like to hear experienced feedback but ones such as chilldawg are readily accepted since you seem pretty well read on your species. I usually only study what I have or what I am interested in, but I just recently became intested in these two specimens.

mkpeters6

AC Members
Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
I have a jewel fish in my African cichlid tank and he is fairly aggressive with one or two of them, but never really causes any damage. Personally, I think the rainbow chiclids would complement your tank setup better due to the fact that you have predominently new world cichlids, but my jewel cichlid is one of my favorites in that tank.

Cloud-9

AC Members
May 11, 2003
Reidsville, GA
Visit site
Jewels

Which Jewels do you have access to?

I've had three Jewels. Bimaculatus, Elongatus, and Lifalilli. I didn't keep the Lifalilli very long and therefore know very little about it other than it's very colorful. The Bimaculatus is very easy to find at the pet shops. It might not be as colorful as the lifalilli.

The Elongatus is not very colorful compared to the other two. But it has a very attractive shape to me. It gets bigger and it is also supposedly more aggressive. I kept mine in its own tank most of the time. When I did put him with other fishes, it was with an orange pike (crenicichla xingu) and a green terror. He never got the opportunity to beat up on anybody in my care. I later added a Buttikoferi that ended up dominating the tank. One thing about this Jewel. When I saw him at the dealer's tanks, he was taking up the whole side of one tank to himself, all the other fishes were cramped on the opposite side. Perhaps you need a little caution if you decide to get this one. I've been searching for another one, actually.

I will take a digital picture of my tank with a small dempsey, firemouth, and bimaculatus jewel and try to post it here. I can manage them so far together because they are very small, the FM being the largest. I'm not sure how long this situation will work out.

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
If your two firemouths are holding there own, I am for sure the jewel cichlid will. My jewel cichlid punks my firemouth every once in a while.

I also believe, but I am not as certain, the rainbow should be ok.

SBee

AC Members
Feb 19, 2003
Delta, BC, Canada!
all I know is that the Rainbows I had........would get EATEN by my JD's if I had put them together.....

not a chance they would get along; the ones that I had at least.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store