Rams and Angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pacudacu

Eats Shoots and Leaves
Nov 18, 2006
Can rams be housed with angelfish? Are angels fin nippers? What are some other recommended tankmates?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Rams and angels can be housed together if the tank is big enough. I'd not call rams fin nippers, but they chase each other and will chase other fish away if they're dominant just like any other cichlid.

Eric

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
I currently have one angel in with my two rams, but used to have two. From my experience the angels have stayed more towards the upper/middle and the rams stay mostly in the lower/middle sections of the tank. During feeding time all of this changes, and when the angels get too close to each Ram's "territory", but for the most part they don't bother each other much. They all come to the top and eat the flakes. I also throw in some sinkers to help out. Good luck!

ps. The cherry barbs I have give neither fish any problems

crazylady6900

AC Members
May 14, 2007
I currently have an angel in my tank and he does like to chase around my other fish but no nipping. The only time my angel nipped is when I had more than 1 in the tank. Also a month ago he acquired some illness with his mouth and part of his upper lip is gone so he no longer can nip if he tried. He is now healed but his upper lip isn't the same. I say it gives him character! I have never had an angel that fin nips unless there's 2 or 3. I would say more than 3 or just 1. I have never had a ram that nips either. Any I have had are pretty peacful and keep to themselves.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Can rams be housed with angelfish?
Yes.
Are angels fin nippers?
They are still cichlids so their behavior varies. They will nip at times especially when they try to dominate each other.
What are some other recommended tankmates?
Tetras, cories, ancistrus plecs, hatchets, discus and apistos. The choice is yours. Rasboras can be housed with them without problems provided they are not small enough to be eaten by the angelfish. Full-grown and deep-bodied tetras are more preferable than the slim ones as the chances of them eaten by scalare angels is not as high compared to the slim-bodied ones such as cardinals and neons.

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
What I've witnessed is that my two rams get along perfectly fine with my angels, no feeding problems apart from that the rams tend to stay towards the bottom so you may have to hand-feed, apart from that angels tend to be aggressive towards other angels with the dominance factor and occasionally go for a nip of anything that gets too close (e.g. tetras). This is what I've witnessed though, don't take my advice strictly to heart, the situation in your tank may be different.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I have 2 Angels in with 2 Blue Rams in my 75G. They cooexist very nicely. If anything the Rams are more aggressive towards one another than anything.

The worse behavior I have ever seen was a Ram coming to the surface for the flakes (usually they do not feed at the surface) and an angel chanced him off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store