Rams in Community Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nuts4fish

AC Members
Sep 28, 2004
Winnipeg, Mb.
I was wondering if you can mix Rams with Tetras and livebearers? I have a community tank which I'm looking to add something special. I have only ever kept Angels from the Cichlid family.

The tank in question is a 30 gal with 4 Head n' Tailight Tetras, 2 Serpae Tetras, 6 mixed Platys and 2 Corys.

I am in the market for either a Bristlenose Pleco or Siamensis Algae Eaters to help with algae.

The rams I have seen at the LFS are the Blue and some very nice Bolivian.

Any suggestions?

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
Rams do well in a community tank, usually they're not aggressive until its mating time and even then, they're not overly aggressive.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
If your going to get them, get them in pairs male and female. With your current stocking levels I would go with a pair of German Blues, not the Bolivans, as they bolivans get much larger and require more space, the german blues would just about max out the tank in my opinion. Also keep in mind that German blue rams like warm water, 82 degrees F minimum for their metabolisms to function right, which also translates into their immune systems functioning right. In their natural habitat its not uncommon for the pools in streams and rivers they live in to reach 90 degrees during the day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store