Raphael Cats

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Yoemen

In Boogeyman's closet
Nov 2, 2005
Galveston
There are 3 basic varieties of Raphael cats you can find in the pet industry:

Striped Raph-typically hides the most. Can be social at feeding if hungry. Can grow to 8 inches but topping out at 6 in the aquarium is more common.
Tend to burrow under things to hide.

Spotted Raph-Much more adventursome at feeding time. However, they tend to wedge themselves into places upside down or sideways. Be very careful when removing decorations that they aren't lodged into one you pull out. Ussually top out at 5 inches.

The 3rd Raph doesn't have a common name. It looks like a striped raph but has a much more pronounced mouth and is much more adventuresome. Very agressive at feeding time. Ussually has spots on fins in a camou pattern. Likes to bury himself in sand. Tops out at 5 inches.

Yes they are known as talking cats, croaking cats, chocolate cats.

Yoemen

In Boogeyman's closet
Nov 2, 2005
Galveston
Oh yeah, they will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. Don't put into breeding tanks! I have seen a pair of striped raphs Devour an entire nest of Red Devil eggs with mom and dad trying to run them off.

Watch out for their fins as well. OUCHIE!

KenyanSandBoa

Dat-O-Holic
Aug 7, 2007
Massachusetts
Oh yeah, they will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. Don't put into breeding tanks! I have seen a pair of striped raphs Devour an entire nest of Red Devil eggs with mom and dad trying to run them off.

Watch out for their fins as well. OUCHIE!
Agreed...I use tinfoil barbs as dither fish and they are constantly laying eggs in HUGE numbers...my raph cats and my megalodoras cats are always right there to devour the eggs.

I've had my Spotted Raphael for almost 13 years now and he's about 6" long. I see him about once a year :lol2: ...not a very active little guy. Fantastic fish if you don't mind the fact you may not see them often.

shaggbark

The rare and Elusive....Ninja Cod
Feb 12, 2007
Hopewell Jct. NY
We love our Raphael......even if he's more tan than white.......................

CIMG6452.JPG

dethjam316

AC Members
Apr 6, 2003
south of nowhere, north of nothing
cool raphael ^^

i lost mine after a 1000 mile move, was bummed considering how tough they are and that all of my 'less hardy' fish made it. they really do make croaking sounds when out of water. if you're a night owl, you'll appreciate the raph a lot more than if you don't view the tank after dark. i rarely saw mine out before midnight, but he would come out occasionally for a late night feeding.

KenyanSandBoa

Dat-O-Holic
Aug 7, 2007
Massachusetts
yes. they live forever.

I have a 15 year old one still going strong.

very very hardy fish.

can live in a toilet if you want :)
That's a pretty cool idea...toilet fish...maybe that's a new theme tank coming.

that yellow colour is really nice on the rapheal.

my old fart rapheal is ugly compared to that:
I like that yellow coloration as well...and no raphael is an ugly raphael...I think your guy looks just fine. :grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store