Re-doing 10-yr old tank, could use some help brainstorming

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Starry

Occasionally sighted.
May 15, 2002
Brampton, Ont
Hi guys! I've been in the hobby for over a decade, and used to be very active on the boards here, but haven't been so into it for the past few years. It has now come to the point that my planted 10-gal is really more of an algae-factory overflowing with the progeny of two platies dating back to 2001. The entire system is completely out of whack and I can't seem to fix it no matter what I try. So, I've come to the conclusion that I need a major overhaul. I could use some input, so let me know what you guys think about my course of action, or if you have any other suggestions.

Stats:
10-gal
40 W CF, suspended 3-4" above the tank (Current USA)
AC mini filter (two sponges)
Flourite substrate
DIY CO2 (but none lately), Hagen ladder diffuser
Used to dose DIY & commercial ferts, but not lately
Despite the algae/ plant problems, my tank is healthy, fish are happy, and I've never had unexplained fish deaths or disease.

My plan of action:

Buy a brand new tank, and new substrate. I've never liked Flourite - it's so freakin dusty. I'm thinking Eco Complete this time. I'm not too picky on colour, but I don't want it to look like sand, and I don't want it to be messy. I was going to mix in some of my Flourite to help it cycle, but would that be a bad idea considering I'm having insane algae issues? With the Eco-Complete, can I put the fish in same day, or will it need to settle? Any other ideas on substrate?

Filter - I will move the current filter with the old media in it. But long-term, I wouldn't mind switching to a different filter. The AC mini is loud and I hate how the flow decreases as it gradually gets clogged with algae and plant debris. But if there aren't many better options, then I can keep with it. Again, I want to move the filter over to instantly cycle the tank, but would I be moving over the algae problems?

CO2 - I'd love to go pressurized, but I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I would want to buy a ready-made system, and I just can't justify the cost. I tried the new Fluval system, it was total crap. For now, I can stick with DIY CO2, but I want a better diffuser. The Hagen ladder works decently, but it gets covered with algae so easily, and is a pain to clean. I've been considering getting a glass diffuser off ebay - will I be happier with one of these? Or I may replace the ladder with a new, clean one. I tried using a powerhead once, but after the first day of using it I found a teenaged fish stuck in it the next morning, so I abandoned it.

Of course I will stock up with lots of fast-growing plants and resume ferts dosing, I'm ok dealing with that. I'll do lots of water changes and keep an eye on ammonia/nitrites just in case. There will be lots of fishies in there.

Any ideas for me? I would love any input!

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
You might be able to get away with taking the filter off the old tank and putting it on the new one while the fish are still in the old one so you can cycle the new tank. Its been so long since I had a 10gal I have no clue how long it might take to cycle. Maybe a water change 25% every couple days when you switch the filter and maybe an airstone in the old tank to help circulation while cycling. I have been looking at Eco Complete too and I think its a pretty good substrate for the buck. As far as glass diffusers go I just recently bought one off ebay. They are really cheap. I think I got mine for 5 bucks nothing fancy. The only real problem I can see is if theres a lot of algae in the filter and it gets sent over to the new tank to colonize.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
When I set up my first tank, also a 10g, I used this stuff, the house brand from AquariumPlants.com. It's been going strong for ...geez what's it been now, 4 years? Might be 5. It still grows plants to an almost annoying degree (lotsa trimming, and having to replace swords 'n' things that have outgrown the space) with no ferts or CO2 or anything but fish and their inputs and outputs. Being young (cough, well younger than now ok?) and ignorant I didn't cycle at all, just threw in substrate, a plant package ordered off somebody here, and fish from MsJinxed and the LFS. They recommend rinsing it 1 time before use which I think I did but can't swear to it. We had an algae attack in the early days but snails eventually took care of it (along with some hand scraping) and it hasn't come back.

My only complaint, if such it can be called, is that the version they call "black diamond" is nothing of the sort. It's brown. Fairly dark brown mind you (their "Natural Amazon" is light brown, and "Red River" is, well, red) but not black. However it is a perfect compromise size wise between sand and gravel, and has had akysis "bumblebee catfish" living in/on/under it for all these years without injury.

Unsolicited testimonial of satisfied customer, I am not employed by, associated with or otherwise connected to the firm in any way. Although if they see this and would like to send me a 2-gallon bucket free that would be swell. :)

Did I forget the best part? Free shipping. Just on their house brand, not other substrates they sell, but still. Heckofadeal considering what this stuff weighs.

Starry

Occasionally sighted.
May 15, 2002
Brampton, Ont
As far as glass diffusers go I just recently bought one off ebay. They are really cheap. I think I got mine for 5 bucks nothing fancy. .

How do you like your glass diffuser, and what else have you used in the past? Do you anticipate that it will be easier to clean than plastic items? thx!

Starry

Occasionally sighted.
May 15, 2002
Brampton, Ont
When I set up my first tank, also a 10g, I used this stuff, the house brand from AquariumPlants.com. It's been going strong for ...geez what's it been now, 4 years? Might be 5. It still grows plants to an almost annoying degree (lotsa trimming, and having to replace swords 'n' things that have outgrown the space) with no ferts or CO2 or anything but fish and their inputs and outputs. Being young (cough, well younger than now ok?) and ignorant I didn't cycle at all, just threw in substrate, a plant package ordered off somebody here, and fish from MsJinxed and the LFS. They recommend rinsing it 1 time before use which I think I did but can't swear to it. We had an algae attack in the early days but snails eventually took care of it (along with some hand scraping) and it hasn't come back.

My only complaint, if such it can be called, is that the version they call "black diamond" is nothing of the sort. It's brown. Fairly dark brown mind you (their "Natural Amazon" is light brown, and "Red River" is, well, red) but not black. However it is a perfect compromise size wise between sand and gravel, and has had akysis "bumblebee catfish" living in/on/under it for all these years without injury.

Unsolicited testimonial of satisfied customer, I am not employed by, associated with or otherwise connected to the firm in any way. Although if they see this and would like to send me a 2-gallon bucket free that would be swell. :)

Did I forget the best part? Free shipping. Just on their house brand, not other substrates they sell, but still. Heckofadeal considering what this stuff weighs.
Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm in Canada, so the shipping kills it for me :(

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
oh. oops. bummer. (not for you I mean, you get to live in Canada and all. But as far as the shipping thing. :( )

HOWEVER! They have a note on their shipping page claiming they are going to open a Canadian distribution center! No date on the note so no idea when this might come about, but you could keep an eye out. Best of luck... :)

Starry

Occasionally sighted.
May 15, 2002
Brampton, Ont
oh. oops. bummer. (not for you I mean, you get to live in Canada and all. But as far as the shipping thing. :( )

HOWEVER! They have a note on their shipping page claiming they are going to open a Canadian distribution center! No date on the note so no idea when this might come about, but you could keep an eye out. Best of luck... :)
I know, they've had that note up for a long time. It would be nice to give us Canucks some online plant options, but who knows when it will happen...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store