Reading test kit results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

garryp

AC Members
Dec 29, 2011
When using and following directions for the reagent style (liquid) test kits for various parameters, the invariable last step is to hold the test vial to the color chart and determine the closest match. That always leaves me in a quandary.

Which is correct to use with every such test kit when not specified?

One can hold the vial against (touching) the color chart white area, or one can hold the vial with a gap between the card and the vial. The difference is that the latter provides a color half as dark as the former (light passing through the vial contents once as opposed to twice). The instructions are never clear. One has to assume one or the other technique, and also has to assume that every test kit would specify the same, if they were to be so bold as to specify either.

Thanks.

jersysman

Member of the MTS Society
Mar 17, 2005
I think which ever method you use, just be consistent in the way that you do it. I hold mine almost touching the card, but not actually touching it. This is the best for my old eyes to see.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I always hold against a white card or white piece of paper.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store